I Never Asked You: Chapter 26

Diedrich opened his eyes. What had happened? He sat up, immediately regretting it. He was hit with a headache right behind his eyes. Diedrich pinched the bridge of his nose until the headache passed. He sprang to his feet. Sprang? He hadn't sprang to his feet in a long time. He felt ... different. Diedrich heard a whinny.

Klaus was stamping and pawing the ground with vigor. His mane was thick, his coat glossy. His eyes held the old sense of derring-do. Diedrich noticed his top was swimming on him. He looked down.

He could see his feet! "Es ist ein Wunder!" He saw old, scuffed boots. Oh, that will never do. Had he really let himself go that much? Yes, he had. After losing Vincent Phantomhive. But there was no time or reason to think about Vincent now. He had to get the news to Vincent's heir.

As if understanding him, the horse tugged with his teeth at the saddle and tack hanging on the wall. Diedrich put on the saddle, and fit in the bit and bridle. Klaus champed at the bit. Diedrich mounted. Klaus seemed larger than he remembered.

"Komm schoss! To the telegraph office!"

They were off. They reached the telegraph office in twenty minutes. Diedrich dismounted and ran inside.

"Hello?"

"Ohhh.." Someone groaned. The clerk sat up against the wall. A nasty goose egg was forming on her head.

"Fräulein ! What happened?"

"Someone hit me."

"Baron Diedrich, Army officer. I need to send an urgent classified transmission about state business. If you tell me how to do it, I will do it."

"Take a look at the telegraph. It is demolished. By whomever struck me."

The machine was demolished. He bent to help her up, but she waved him off. "Don't worry about me. Tend to your business, young man."

Young man? What young man?

The train. It was the only option. But it was leaving soon.

He jumped on Klaus' back. "Hüa !" Klaus took off as if he had wings. Diedrich leaned over his back to reduce wind resistance. It seemed to be working. Klaus was galloping so fast his hooves seemed to skim over the ground.

Kimura got ready to fly. Only the silkworms of Sho'rth made such a beautiful, yet durable kimono for these speeds.

////

Phipps looked at the flower by the Queen's bed. "Grey."

"Mmm?" Grey had been admiring Phipps' handsome profile. So much more handsome etched with concern for his Queen. If only he would show the same intense concern for him...

"Don't you think its strange there is a single dead orchid right by her majesty?"

Grey looked at the flowers sent by well-wishers. Extravagant, each seeking to outdo the next. And alive. Each bouquet had a note with a name. But not the nameless orchid.

"The nurse. That new nurse. She prepared Victoria's broth that Miss Sullivan .."

.."threw into the pot."

"Why would ordinary broth kill a flower?"

"It wouldn't. Not unless .."

"It was not ordinary broth."

They looked at each other, shock and realization hitting them. Sweatdrops beaded their temples.

Grey ran into the hall and accosted a dozing guard. He struck him on the face. "Wake up."

"I'm sorry, Guv'nor. I haven't slept, and now that the Queen is all right and the danger has passed -"

"It hasn't passed. Listen to me. Gather ten of your best men, and find the nurse. Lock her up. And do not sound an alarm. We don't want her warned." As the guard walked away to carry out the order, Grey scanned the hall. It seemed empty. Grey didn't know what the "nurse" was up to. He looked forward to interrogating her.

"Phipps, what is it?" said Victoria.

"It's nothing, your Highness."

"Don't 'your Highness' me, you sycophant! I am no shrinking violet. This is my castle; I demand to know what is going on!"

Phipps told her everything. "Toxins, poisons, these are the assassin's weapons. The toxin was unknown..."

"And you have not brought my daughter to me? Hurry and get her. At once."

Phipps ran out of the room, calling over his shoulder, "Don't let that nurse touch you!"

"If that bitch comes in, I'll skewer her myself!"

////

The guests arrived at the cottage one by one. They were seated in the modest garden. They murmured to each other, curiousity filling their voices. Most didn't know the groom, and none knew the bride. But they all knew Alestoir Chamber, the Viscount of Druitt in some capacity. And they knew they were in for a show.

"Here. Put this on, son." Aleistor handed Ambrose a deep purple suit.

"Oh, do I have to.." He trailed off when he saw his uncle's look.

"Yes."

Thirty minutes later, Ambrose looked in the mirror. He had to admit: he looked good.

Aleistor straightened the lace on Ambrose's silver-white cravat. He fluffed it up, then straightened it again.

"It's not like you to fuss. Are you trying to tell me someting?"

Aleistor held Ambrose's gaze. "When I give you the family dagger, you'll be an aristocrat with your own family. I'm proud of you. I know you have overcome great adversity."

Ambrose was deeply touched. He never knew how much he had wanted to hear those words from his uncle.

"I've been thinking. I was upset you won't give me the statuette you found in that strange place in the deep South. But now I understand why. You need the truth about your mother. Your mother, and me."

//////

Sebastian was fading from sight.

Ciel caught snatches of words: "Undertaker ... my father and your grandfather ... more than one contract ... phoenix rise from ashes ... Sebastian ... amnesia ... planned all along."

"Father, Sebastian. I do not understand," said Ciel. His voice sounded thick with grief.

"I am tired. I need to rest. Goodbye, Ciel. You were one hell of a Phantomhive. One hell of a son."

"Goodbye," whispered Ciel.

He was on his own now. The world looked different with both eyes working. He saw everything anew. But the only person he wanted to see was Elizabeth.

TO BE CONTINUED