Chapter IV

A sudden chill took over the city as the meager remaining population of humans took cover in a sanction underground in preparation for the oncoming typhoon

A sudden chill took over the city as the meager remaining population of humans took cover in a sanction underground in preparation for the oncoming typhoon. Soldiers were disbanded as they scoured the area for anyone they missed.

Shinya had dried off quickly after the brief rainstorm. 

He walked off quickly, remembering that a typhoon had been forecasted to take place tonight.

Several queer smells floated around the area as he followed the many soldiers who were going in the same direction

A small child's wailing voice suddenly resonated and many heads turned to the direction of the sound.

Shinya smiled at the soldier beside him, 'I'll take care of it, you go and round up the last families.'

The soldier bowed his head in respect and continued his own way to the heart of the city.

Shinya ran towards the sound and found the source of the crying.

A little boy sat beside his mother, desperately trying to gain her attention.

The silver headed man surveyed the scene and realised that the woman had been dead for quite some time already. The smell of death was what he had sensed earlier and the flies feeding on her corpse was proof enough.

Scooping up the crying boy, he patted the head of the child. The boy stopped crying and looked up at Shinya.

A flitter of revelation crossed Shinya's face when he saw the child's eyes. One of them, the left eye was normal, a peculiar violet colour. However, the right eye couldn't be more different. Electric blue veins ripped across the pitch black eye and the pupil was a gruesome mess of grey and black, mimicking the grey of the outside sky.

A rumbling of thunder sounded in the distance and Shinya remembered that he needed to get to shelter. Hoisting the child onto his waist, he began to run, nimbly skirting over wastage piles and mountains of rusting rubbish.

At last, he got to the Hiiragi house, slowing down when he saw the reassuring structure of the family property.

'It's alright.' He told the little boy, 'You'll be safe here.'

The boy glanced up at him, a frown taking over his features.

Shinya smiled at him, 'I'll keep you safe.'

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guren

The overly packed room was filled with the bodies of simultaneously moving people. 

Although disgust mainly overpowered Guren's current emotions, a sense of pity also touched him.

I don't blame these people

Trying to forget the past or the present

Trying to imagine themselves out of this situation

Guren laughed grimly inside

But,

Forgetting,

only makes,

Remembering,

worse

Numerous lasers shot out from lights, presumably attained illegally.

And,

The thing is,

Remembering,

means you won't forget

He made his way through the door, dragging the intoxicated Sayuri behind him.

Forgetting these memories,

Are harder than you think,

Because,

When you finally remember them,

It only hurts more,

That's why,

I don't want to forget,

but I don't want to remember,

That the living are beautiful,

but behind every life, every breath of air,

Every delicate part of them,

Somewhere,

Right now,

They could be hurting inside

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have time, comment and vote- I like getting feedback :)

Author's Note:

If you are wondering why the child's eyes on the image are crossed out, it's because it symbolises the 'gruesome' remain of the kid's right eye.

And this is a bit late in the story but, I use 's' instead of 'z', following the British writing system.