ONE

A huge thank you to rebellionofhope    For the beautiful character gif of Evan & Wren

Pain echoed through my legs my muscles throbbing, begging for relief. Everything hurt, breathing, blinking even my eyebrows seemed to hurt. I wanted nothing more than to have a soothing bath and sleep, the team and I had been up for the past twenty-four hours disbanding a new coven of young vampires attempting to bring back the old ways.  Many had been culled it was something I dreaded but they gave us no choice in. 

 Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Niamh reflection through the rearview mirror her head pressed against the window, her long pin straight golden locks tosslsed around her sculpted face, her thin figure slumped in her spot, the only thing keeping her upright was her seatbelt.  A yawn forced its way from my lips as somewhat covered it with my hand slightly blocking it.

After I had yawned I could hear  Diarmaid yawn beside me,  I titled my head slightly watching him, he adjusted his long thick fingers on the faux leather casing of the steering wheel. His knuckles going white from the tension in the spots that weren't covered in bruises that matched most of his hands and probably his entire body. He looked worn out, no doubt sore and tired like both Niamh and I, but I knew no matter what anyone said, Diar would deny it. Being tired or in pain was a sign of weakness.

As the car rolled to a stop Diar parked it outside the institution,  to most, it looked like a run down warehouse, but inside what technology, weapons, and knowledge most of the world had never seen the likes of and never would. As the engine silenced I pulled my self out of the car using the door for balance as my legs buckled under me.  Diar woke Niahm up as he exited the car. Closing the door behind me I stepped a couple steps away, as I did I could hear Niahm open  the car door before something smacked onto the cold cement.

Looking over my shoulder my phone started to buzz in my pocket, Niamh mumbled something along the lines of "I'm good" as she managed to pull her self up onto her feet leaning on the doorway, Diar and I both snickered at her.  Pulling my phone from my pocket I answer it quickly knowing it was my younger brother.

"What's up squirt?  I questioned stepping away.

"Evan!  You need to come home, moms lost it, she's didn't take her pills, I don't know what to do!" Wrens voice panicked and shook as he spoke. 

" get in your room, locked the door and hide. I'll be right there, don't come out till I say, understood?" I directed him calmly taking long strides down the street.

"Yes, please hurry..." he whispered  I could hear movement and he closed his door. 

"I'll be right there" I assumed before hanging up the phone.

A wave of adrenaline rushed through my veins the pain radiating inside me numbing itself and my legs started moving themselves and I ran down the busy side street, there was only one thing that after right now to me, it wasn't the pain, it was Wren and his safety.