THREE

I shifted nervously my hands tucked under my legs as I sat squished on the small couch between Niahm and Diarmaid. The three of us didn't say a word with our heads down we waited like children sent to the principles office. The Director had ordered us to her office but she didn't follow, so we waited in silence, unsure of what was to come. 

We all had our own reasons to be nervous of Director Crane, she seemed to have something against all of us. Being a full-blooded sorceress she had a neutral distaste for all things Fae and that included Niahm. In Diarmaid's case, he was disliked by most of the Awen, Triskele and really most any of the supernatural and immortal world, simply for being born. He was half angel and half demon which in our world was a forbidden and dangerous combination. 

For me, It wasn't because of who I was, or what I was. It wasn't the fact that I was a split, or that our species naturally didn't get along. In fact, it wasn't even because I had done anything, her dislike for me was created before I was even born.  It was her hatred for my father, a man I had never met that made her dislike me so and no matter how hard I tried to show her I wasn't him, she insisted I was just like him. How when she looked into my eyes,  the only thing she saw looking back at her, was my father.

"I was called in by the Quaternary first thing this morning"   Director Crane announced as she strode into the room hands clasped behind her back like talons.

None of us made eye contact with her, the tension growing in the silence. I looked out past the stray apricot locks that had fallen into my view watching as she stood in front of her desk examing us like a specimen under a microscope. Her champaign brown eyes were cold and flat as she watched us waiting for a flinch, for one of us to give. 

"Hmmm, no how comes?, No is everything okays?" She mused her eyes landing on Niahm as her foot twitched.

"Whatever it is I didn't do it"  Niahm suddenly blurted out her head shooting up. Diar and I instantly turned our heads to look at her. 

I felt bad for her, We all knew the director would rip her a new one, We watched the two carefully doing our best to avoid eye contact with either of them. The director's eyes narrowed at Niahm watching looking down at her, much like a bird of prey would a mouse. Niahm squirmed under the intense glare her eyes slowly shifting down as she bowed her head.

"I'm sure whatever it is you did do,  I will find out shortly enough. For once you are not in trouble. For now at least" her voice was cold and smooth almost like a hiss as she spoke. 

"The  Quaternary has requested our services in locating and returning young lord  Shemari Eowag back to them, it seems he has taken it upon himself to run away from responsibilities" Iwan's voice was a deep wave of calmness washing over the room.