Chapter IV

"It started three weeks ago..."

It, as Emmeline explained, was the sudden erratic behavior of Councilman Emile Thatcher. He was speaking out more in the senate, opting to take more aggressive actions in debates then his usual passive loyalty. She wasn't certain what changed, her dad was always a 'loyal and gentle' man--her words-- and she never saw a day he was as distraught as after a week of these new court moves.

Emile Thatcher, that was name that resonated though I know I haven't met the man before, not directly atleast. Other than the time he wondered into Toni's bar or from Emmeline's photo, I had never seen him proper face to face.

"Two weeks ago, he was declared dead and mom rushed out a funeral," she told, "Though we didn't have a body..." she paused when her voice strained, "I just know he has to be out there somewhere-- dead or alive. He wouldn't just disappear... and the things people are saying..."

"What are people saying?" I asked. She met my eyes, looking both fearful and pained. Don't make me tell, she wanted to say, she pleaded with her eyes, Don't make me repeat what they said. I let out a sigh, "It's safe to assume I don't know what people in the high courts talk about."

"Er," she broke her gaze away, "I know... I just..." she took in another slow breath, "They said he was sleeping around with prostitutes in the lower districts, that is was only a matter of time until he got his for his money or something... I... I know my dad, he loved my mom.... I don't think he'd..."

"Lots of people do what we don't expect," I creased my brow with my thumb. She looked defeated when I said that, deflated. It was all anyone was saying, and I was fueling that lack of hope. Taking in a breath, I offered, "But what makes you think it's any different? Surely you aren't coming down here with nothing?"

She nodded wildly, giving me a breaking smile before, "I was looking through a set of documents, one second..." She patted down her pockets before producing a trio of papers folded neatly. "My dad wasn't in the military division until rather recently, he replaced the last guy who also disappeared under mysterious circumstances-- which, you won't find on the internet."

The papers were wrinkled around the corners when she handed them to me unfolded, the first page being a breakdown of the disappearance of Trentent Commodore. Now that was a name I knew, one I was eerily familiar with. They covered up that little accident as a mysterious disappearance... Now isn't that interesting? I pulled in a breath, skimming the details before flipping the page.

"Actually," she soon added, "The last three Military advisors have gone missing. All had funerals without bodies. There is no way, no way what they are telling us is the truth."

"You do realize how confidential this information is, don't you?" I asked, raising a brow, "You can't go sharing this with just anyone unless you want to be charged with treason."

Her cheeks reddened a little, "Uh... I mean, of course I know that. I just... I need to know what happened to him, above all else."

The second page was about a select few military operated organizations, a couple I recognized and a couple I didn't but most of them were inked out. With a blink, I was able to see through the ink slightly and catch a few words.

Rogue. Militiried. Selected. Months.

"You found this where?"

"Does it matter?"

I give her a questioning look, trying to read her flustered expressions. But Emmeline was feeling too many emotions to read past, "There was no way your father had clearance to have these. If anything, he got them from some place he shouldn't have and that lead to wrongful termination."

"He isn't dead," she argued, "I know it. He can't be."

"The world can be like that," I gave another sigh, "An endless path with too many questions and too many people that only leads to our inevitable death. Some of us sooner than others."

"Just look at the last page," she pleaded, "Before you give up like everyone else had..." I tried reading her again; her genuine innocence, her unmeasurable defeat. She was more of an open book now that she had decided on one emotion to feel. Hope. She wasn't about give up on this, if I helped her or otherwise.

I gave in, feeling her eyes on me as I flip to the last page. I scanned it through, "It's a log from the cameras... You found his last sightings?"

She nodded, "I have no idea where the Red Motel is but it's where they all were last scene."

"I've been there before," I nodded, "sketchy place on the other side of town, could be a good day's walk, you were headed in the wrong direction at Toni's. Why'd you go there?"

"The bar? Because he was there that same night," she said, "three hours before he disappeared at the motel. I'm not stupid."

Stupid wasn't the word I'd use. Instead, I'd try naive. This was all wishful thinking, the hope of a girl. But that was part of the deal, wasn't it? Deal with Emmeline's naive and hopeful spirit long enough for her to loose it in a world not built to sustain it. I took in another sigh of defeat, "Where do you want to start?"

"You're still willing to help?" her eyes sparkled with that hopeful glee.

"I'm not one to go back on my word," though I was exhausted to admit it.

She smiled sweetly, "Thank you, April."

Those words seemed to resonate, seemed to echo in my mind with more meaning then there was behind them. Thank you, April. When was the last time someone told me 'thank you' and actually meant it? When was the last time someone like Emmeline Thatcher was in my loft, or anywhere near enough to have such a conversation? When was the last time I had company, the proper kind that talked to me like I were a human being?

I couldn't remember.

There was something about her smile that I couldn't look away from. She resonate with beauty the same way a flower did, with colorful delicacy and untainted radiance. Her face was framed with golden hair, the rich dark kind of blonde, while her eyes had sparkling silver lashes. Blue eyes. A rather normal color, rare on this side of town but normal compared to what I see in my own reflection.

What I'd give to be as lovely as Emmeline.

"Alright well," I broke away, she noticed I was staring and had to look down at her hands to hide the growing pink blush on her cheeks, "Go ahead and take the sleeping back. It'll be warmer than what you got on."

"Oh no, I don't want to steal your bed."

I gave her a smile in return, "It's fine, Emmeline. You'll need it more than me with all this cold wind. At dawn, we'll go to your Red Motel. See what we can see and work it out from there." I folded the papers she gave me and slipped them into my own pocket.

"Thank you, April," she repeated, "Good night."

"Yeah," was all I managed to say before I found something distant to watch in the darkness. Emmeline Thatcher was going to be the death of me.