Chapter VII

*Authors Note* I changed up this chapter a bit just I just didn't like how it settled with me. Most of it is the same, but you may want to look into that ending if you'd rather the next chapter not be a nightmare of confusion. Sorry about that guys! 

***

The sound ended with darkness, vibrating my bones under my skin uncomfortably like I were trapped in a old massage chair. It wasn't a pleasant sound, like the music from the stereo or the voice of someone you care for. No, it was a white noise, screeching like a knife on glass. It was that feeling of when your teeth rub wrong or your nails scrape against something it shouldn't-- only, it was a sound that caused the room to shake.

I hadn't realized I passed out until I woke up, though the darkness still hugged around my vision. There was a faint glow, something greenish in a ceiling of cobblestones, but I could tell it was still night through a cell window.

A cell? Was I taken to the police? Was this what the police station looked like? No Emmy, it wouldn't be wrong to think those cells would be a little more... humane than this. At least it smelled better than that stupid motel, the cold air drifting through the window was crisp and rainy. The smell of wet asphalt was the most potent, though hardly unnerving.

"Shit," I cursed when I finally could make out the silhouette of April opposite of me in the same cell. She rolled her eyes at my surprise, the purple glow just bright enough to be see in complete darkness. It was a little terrifying, her eyes like a demons that chilled me to my soul. "What happened? I don't- Oh..." There was a bandana over her mouth, I noticed, and I quickly scooted closer to move it off her lips.

"Finally," she huffed, "That rag reeked of piss."

I cringed, "Gross." I scanned the perimeter of the cell. We were the only ones here, though I could hear the breath and movement of others nearby. "What happened, April? I can't remember..."

"They're called Scrounges," she said, "a daft group of wanna-be gladiators of their own makeshift coliseum. They occupied a gambling corner by the Red Motel. I was hoping we waited them off, that they'd be asleep or gone by the time we went in. Fucking hag must of ratted us out."

Sudden panic took me, I quickly patted down my pockets. "Oh no, April! They took the camera."

She raised an eyebrow, "That's what you're worried about? Jesus, were in a literal holding cell for a litteral battle to the death in a fucking coliseum and you're worried about your camera?"

"It's the only lead we had!" I defended.

"We won't have anything if we die in here!"

"Shut it!" hissed a man down the aisle pass the bars, "Some of us are trying to get some shut eye, Violeta!"

She shook her hands, a silver sparkling around her wrists and clinking like keys, "Why don't you shut it, culo?"

"April," I hissed, "calm down. We need to think about this."

"I've done all the thinking," she whisper yelled at me, her eyes sparking slightly with frustration, "While you got your beauty sleep, I had nothing to do but think."

"Why are you handcuffed," I put my hands on hers, steading her. She tensed for a moment before having another heavy sigh. April's hair was matted slightly on one side, like she were sleeping on it, and her legs were out in front of her. Unlike me, she looked like she hasn't moved much from this spot on the floor.

"I tried putting up a bit of a fight at the motel," she said, "It would have worked, had I not of gotten a little gun shy. One half pint prick had something a little above my pay grade to threaten me with. Didn't want to shoot him with that wimpy little pistol if it meant I was turned into a cheese grater."