chapter 1

~Madeline's POV~

(JUST TO CLARIFY ITS PRONOUNCED MAD-UH-LYNN) 

I stare up at the beige building in front of me. I look back at my mom, who flashes me a weak smile before I sigh and trudge inside. Taking a deep breath, I look at the hardwood floors and the potted plants that cover nearly every corner. It smells like old men and baby powder, but I guess it could be way worse.

"There's three bedrooms. Mine is the master, but you can pick one of the other two for yourself." My mom says. I nod before climbing up the polished wooden stairs. Was this really my new home? It didn't feel like it.

I stop at the door at the end of the hall. I open up the door and peek inside. The first thing I see is a wide window with a little cushion on the windowsill. The room is pretty big, in fact, it's bigger than my room back in Massachusetts. I set my suitcases down on the cream-colored carpet. I decide that this is gonna be my room, even though I need to do a lot of decorating. I need to buy all new furniture for my room because I made the mistake of leaving all my furniture at my old house. My dad specifically told me to leave my furniture behind because his new girlfriend, who he was cheating on my mom with, wants to keep it for her baby.

Selfish, cheap bitch.

My mom was tired of fighting with my dad, so she told me she would buy me brand new stuff when we arrived in New Jersey. Normally, I would feel bad about spending all her hard-earned money on decorations and furniture, but I heard she got a sick upgrade from her last job, and she's making almost double the money she did before.

I don't know if you can tell or not, but i'm not really that sad about my parents divorce.

I mean, I was already kind of suspecting it. A few months before they finalized the divorce, my dad started 'working late' and going on 'important business trips' for weeks at a time. It came to a point where he was gone so often that I felt the need to do some research. That day, I found out some... interesting stuff about my dad. I showed it all to my mom, and well, you know how it went from there.

"Oh.. this is gorgeous! Is this the bedroom you picked?" My mom gushes.

"Yea." I shrug. "So, when am I gonna decorate this place?"

"Well, I was about to leave to go get febreze for downstairs, so if you want to come with, you can start picking out your furniture." My mom smiles.

"Febreze? Oh thank god. It smells like old men down there." I chuckle lightly.

My mom laughs with me before we both head downstairs and towards my mom's minivan parked outside. I pile in the passenger seat of the car and roll down the window. It is the last week of summer break, and I want to embrace it as much as possible. Practically all of my summer was spent stressing about the divorce, so I barely had any time to relax or do anything fun. Now that I'm finally free from my dad and his bitchy girlfriend, I can relax, even though I can only do so for a week before hell starts back up. By hell, I mean school. And If it's anything like school in Massachusetts, I'm in for a rough time.

We pull into Ikea and I hop out of the minivan. I walk towards the entrance of the store with my mom right next to me. When the sliding doors open, I notice that the store is buzzing with people. I look around, and much to my surprise, most of the guys inside are hot. I thought that New Jersey was supposed to be a cold state, not a hot one. Maybe it won't be so bad here after all.

-

We were in Ikea for a few hours. My mom let me get everything I want, and honestly, I think it's because she feels bad for me. Even though I don't feel too bad myself. I got a lot of white and gold furniture because I'm a basic bitch.

It's all coming to our house in a truck in a few hours, since there is no way in hell we could fit all the furniture I bought in the back of mom's minivan. When I got back to the house (the word 'home' doesn't feel right yet), I set up my bathroom and unpack all my clothes. I decide to go lay out in the backyard and tan a little so I'm not the shade of sour cream I currently am on the first day of school.

I was planning on spending my last few days of summer re-watching Stranger Things and getting my glow up, but sadly, only one of the two was going to happen. I was outside for a while, tanning, when I got hungry. My car was coming tomorrow from Massachusetts, my mom just took her car to work, and there was no food in fridge yet to ravage. So, I decide to just order food myself. I went online to order pizza. The website said that it would take 25 minutes, so I had extra time to kill. I went on my phone and starting searching for people that went to West Morris Central High School. I only found three people that had public accounts. Two girls that were hoes, and a guy posting about video games. I am definitely not looking forward to school.

The doorbell rang, signaling pizza, so I skip down the stairs to get my food. Grabbing cash off the counter, I open the door.

Damn, the pizza guy was hot.

"H-hi" I stutter.

"Hey." he smiles at me.

Oh, here." I hand him a ten dollar bill. He counts it before handing change back.

"It's only six dollars." He says.

"No tip?" I ask.

"No tip, as long as I can get your number."

"Uhhh, yeah, sure." He hands me his phone, and I put my name and number in.

"What's your name?" I ask looking back up at him.

"Colin." He smiled.

I hand him back his phone as he looked at it.

"Madeline." He read.

"Yep."

"How come I haven't seen you around?"

"I just got here today."

"Are you going to West Morris?"

"Yeah, actually I am."

"Cool, I'll see you around." He flashes me a quick smile and winks before turning back to his car.

I watch him until he opens his car door.

Ok, I thought, maybe school won't be so bad after all. 

thanks for reading so far! many chapters to come over the winter break <3

-m