Part 19

Darcy felt a weight lift from his shoulders as the busyness of London gave way to the rolling green countryside of Hertfordshire. He was doing the right thing, he felt sure, despite the showdown with Caroline Bingley that had occurred moments before they left. He grimaced, recalling the way she had railed at both he and Charles for their insistence on returning to Netherfield immediately.

"Well, I certainly do not intend on joining you!" she cried, with a toss of her glossy head. "How can you dream of uprooting so close to Christmas? And trading all that London has to offer for...Hertfordshire." Her words had dripped with disdain.

"Caroline, dear, you know Darcy is not fond of London society at the best of times, and I confess even I would prefer a little peace and quiet this year!" Charles had attempted to placate his sister in promising to throw another party upon their return or perhaps inviting some particular friends of hers to accompany them to Netherfield for the festivities. Both of these suggestions had been met with a dismissive snort, and eventually, even Charles' sanguine temper had begun to fray. "Well, Caroline I am sorry to part with you, and I shan't make you come with us, but I certainly do not intend to stay here and be miserable all Christmas. The house is plenty populated enough to credit your staying alone, and I am sure you will find adequate company amongst our friends and family. We might reunite in the new year if you see fit to return to Netherfield. As it stands, it is the property I have taken and I ought not to leave it uninhabited for so long a stretch."

Even Darcy had been surprised to see Charles so firmly sticking to his guns, and fancied that, had he not been beside him, had the very suggestion of returning to Hertfordshire not been suggested and encouraged by him, that Bingley may well have folded under the opposition of his sister.

Speed, then, became of the essence, for to delay would mean capitulation. Hurrying Charles into the carriage, they had departed London before the hour was out, and both men had fallen into companionable quiet, each watching the passing of the scenery and nursing his own thoughts.

"Jolly good plan, this, Darcy," Charles remarked, as they reached what could definitely be referred to as Hertfordshire. "Never did care for London much. I wouldn't have gone in the first place, had Caroline not concocted some spurious reason for our immediate return."

"Oh?" Darcy turned. He had never known what Charles' reasons for beating a hasty retreat to London had been, only been reassured by Caroline that his heart was set on departing, and being only too happy to facilitate the move, if it meant preventing what he had thought of as a very unwise match between his friend and Jane Bennet.

"She claimed Uncle Edward was unwell and wrote to request our company." He laughed. "Poor fellow has never been fitter in his life, and whilst he was thrilled to see us and welcomed us with open arms certainly had never written demanding we visit." He shook his head. "My sister is altogether too fond of an opportune falsehood if it secures her will being done. I don't mind telling you it is not a trait that is becoming." He paused. "Don't say as much to anyone, though, will you Darcy? You know I think aloud when I talk to you. I oughtn't to speak so freely about my sister."

"I shall say nothing of it," Darcy promised, feeling somewhat convicted by his own role in Charles' rapid relocation.

"I certainly was surprised to see you so determined to accompany us!" Bingley paused, his pleasant features folding into a frown. "I hope you were not unhappy at Netherfield."

"Tis on my account we return there now, is not it?" Darcy asked, with a sly grin.

"Right! Indeed it is." Charles smiled happily. "Then I can only imagine you returned to London in support of me, and for that I thank you. It credits me with still more evidence of what a great friend you are."