Memories

Characters: Michael, 21 and Jane, 19 (20 right now)

Jane's POV

It's been one year. One year since you left me. You said you were going on a guy's trip. I thought nothing of it, you go on trips all the time. But I didn't know this was going to be the last time I was going to see you. We were going to grow up together and start a family. How I didn't know something was wrong, that's something else. But why did you not come to me about anything? I would've been able to help you because I have been through my own battles

flashback to may 26th 2016

Michael's POV

"Bye honey" I say to Jane

"Bye babe! Have fun. Stay safe" She says back to me. I am going on a guy's trip with some friends, Jane thinks. But I am actually going to a quarry in the woods to end my life. I know Jane is going to be heartbroken, but I can't provide for her the way she needs me to. Also, I've been battling bipolar, depression, and anxiety for the past six years and I am not getting any better. My mom died when I was 15 and that's started slowly falling apart

When I got to the quarry on Friday night, I set up camp and slept through the night until Saturday morning at 9 am. Everything was planned out. Except for my suicide note/video. I am leaving both in order for Jane to hear my voice once more.
Around 11 am, I set my camp up for how I wanted it to be found. Tent by a tree. Sleeping bag has been used. My bag and fishing gear next to the tent. And lastly, my phone in my sleeping bag.
What Jane didn't know about me is that I self harmed pretty destructively. Cuts on my wrists, thighs, and stomach. Bruises on my thighs and wrists. I just wanted to release my pain somehow. I guess she will figure that out when she finds my body...
It is now 2 pm. I am at the quarry top. I pray real quick asking God to take care of Jane for me, and I sit there in the silence of the forest until 2:15, tying rocks to my ankles and then I push myself off...

Jane's POV

Michael was supposed to be back yesterday (Sunday) because he has work today. I just figured they stayed an extra day and forgot to tell me. Tuesday rolls around and now I'm starting to get worried. I decide to call his friend to ask him where they are and his friend told me they haven't seen Michael all weekend. That's when I decide to call 911
"911 What's your emergency?"
"Hi, my boyfriend has been missing since Friday" I say frantically.
"When was the last time you saw him and where?"
"Our shared apartment around 7 Friday night."
"Ok, and where is he now?"
"I don't know but he went camping with friends by the quarry."
"What's your boyfriend's name and what does he look like?"
"Michael Louis and he is 6'1" with brown scruffy short hair, and he is caucasian"
"Ok Miss, thank you. We will send a police officer over to the quarry to look for him. I would suggest you call his parents and then come meet us at the quarry"
"Thank you so much"

3rd Person's POV

And with that, Jane drove to the quarry to find the police at Michael's campsite investigating. Jane stood on the sidelines watching the police look for any clues. Until...

Jane's POV

The police ask me if he had any mental health issues and I answered telling them,
"He had anxiety and bipolar disorder"
They also asked if he took any medication and I responded,
"Yes, for bipolar. But not for his anxiety"

The police found his phone in his sleeping bag with no lock. It worries me a lot when they tell me to look at a video left for me from Michael. It was a video of him saying,
"Hey baby. I love you so much and you're the only person who made me happy and because of that, I have to leave you. Over time you would become annoyed at how clingy I am and break up with me. One thing you didn't know about me is that I've been battling depression since my mom died 6 years ago. I'm sorry for destroying your life for the moments coming, but please I need you to understand why I did what I did. I needed to be with my mom again. I needed to see her. I will always be looking down on you from the clouds above. I came to the quarry because it allowed me to be serene and at peace before I passed on to my forever peaceful home. I really love you and I'll be happy for you when you move on. I don't want you to be upset forever. Goodbye Love. I will miss you. Thanks for the memories."

By the time I was done watching the video, I was crying my eyes out I was at the point of choking. There was also a note on a tree nearby the quarry saying "goodbye" and that's when I crashed.

3rd Person's POV

The police called the paramedics and the fire department in order to come and search the quarry lake for Michael's body. Because it had only been a few days since Michael had been in the lake, the fire department was able to mind his body pretty quickly. Jane fell to the ground look at her boyfriend's lifeless body.

Fast forward to a week later

Jane's POV

We held a memorial for Michael at the quarry because nature was where he felt the most at peace. He probably would've wanted us to hold it here anyway.

Flashback over. Present day. May 25th 2017

(Jane sitting at Michael's grave)
"Today I am celebrating all the memories me and you had together. Today I went to the spot we had our first date, the beach. You knew it was my favorite place to visit. You wanted to make me happy.
The second place I went to today was Washington DC. We went together because of the cherry blossom festival. You loved seeing me dance around with the petals falling.
Third place on the list was where we went to see Imagine Dragons. Of course they aren't there now, but your favorite band is imagine dragons so I surprised you with tickets to go see them.
Fourth is the tattoo parlor where we got matching tattoos, but just a little symbol that mattered to only us. I got a tattoo today in your memory.
By the time I went to the fifth place, it was already 6pm, I went back home and gathered some things and put them in the car and went on my way to the last place we went to when you were here with me. You took me to an open field, set up the back of the car into a bed like platform and we watched the stars and just laid together in each other's presence."

"I am starting classes at school this year. I am taking photography classes because I know how much you loved my photos. The school set up a memorial for you in the courtyard.
It's so hard moving on from you but I'm trying to and I know you want me to move on.
I can't stay much longer, hun, because I have to get back to my classes, but I will visit again as soon as I can."

"Thanks for the memories"