Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

                I feel like I’m floating on a cloud. The air is crisp and clean here, wherever I am. There’s no smell of gasoline, no sounds that indicate cars.  I start to panic and my eyes snap open. I’m literally floating in a purplish space around me.

                The first thought that comes to mind is ‘Am I dead?’

                ‘Pfft, no’

                ‘Am I really talking to myself right now?’

                I shake my head to get rid of the thoughts. If I’m dead, I should be eating rainbow candy and petting a baby kitten, right? Ok, maybe I watch too many movies.

                I see a white light in the distance. It seems to be getting closer. I try to run, or fly away or something, but I’m rooted to the spot. The light keeps coming closer and I panic. It stops right in front of me, and I see an image rising from the light.

                It’s a picture of me… and Evie. No, more like video. It’ one of the last memories I have of her…

                I lean closer to see what was happening in the memory, but as I reach out and touch the picture, the surface ripples. It starts to fold over my hand, dragging me in. I want to turn away, scream, run, anything; but as I thrash around, its grip on my hand gets tighter and tighter. It soon swallows my hand, then my arm, and now my shoulder. I’m getting sucked into the memory.

                “Evie! Come back!” I shout for my best friend as she runs into the pouring rain. I giggle, and throw myself into her garden as well. She runs in front of me, giggling and staring at the sky. The sun is still up but it’s raining. There’s a huge rainbow across the sky Evie is running around in circles.

“Look! Ava, look! I bet there’s a golden pot at the end of the rainbow!” she yells, laying down on the wet grass. I start to sit next to her, but I slip and fall onto the mud. I feel something slip from my hand. I look down and see my right arm, covered with mud and no longer bearing the friendship bracelet Evie gave me.

I start to panic and search through the mud. Evie senses there’s something wrong when she sees my tear-streaked face.  She starts to search the mud with me but it’s too late. The bracelet is gone.

I gasp, pulling my hand back from the pool of light. That; is impossible. There is no way to time travel is there? I look at my hand to see that’s it’s not injured or anything, and look back at the light. The charm bracelet that I had lost was coming out of the light. I reach my hand out, to touch it, hold it, wear it, anything; when it vanishes and so does the light.