Chapter 3

Summer pov:

All through Cheerleading I couldn't stop thinking about Jake and why he was so upset. It just didn't make any sense to me. He was fine before Tom came and sat down. Tom. I was so rude to him earlier and I know I should find him and apologise but first I need to find out about Jake. That's what's more important to me.

"Summer, what the hell was wrong with you today. No offence but that practice was terrible and we have a competition in a few week." Lucy says to me as we walk back to the changing rooms. I wipe the sweat off my forehead.

"I don't know. I guess I just need to find Jake and talk to him. I need to know what was wrong!" Lucy nods and walks away to get changed back into her uniform. She has Maths next but I have a free period and I know that Jake does too. Perfect time to find him.

I don't even bother to get changed. I stay in my white crop top and sports shorts and grab my bag so that I can find Jake. The sooner the better.

"I'll see you later!" I call over to Lucy and Jen who are both halfway through getting changed. They both nod and I walk out. I know where I'm going. It's the place he always goes when he has a free period. The back courts because that is the place where he can play basketball. As I round the corner, I hear the ball bouncing on the ground and smile down at the ground. He's here. But, as I get closer, I look up and see that it is Austin playing basketball and not Jake. That's unusual. He turns around and sees me. Slowly, he walks towards me and smiles.

"Hey Summer. How are you?" He asks.

"I'm fine. Um... Do you know where Jake is?" I ask him and he looks away.

"Yeah, I know where he is" he replies.

"Well, do you mind telling me?" I asked.

"Well, he actually told me not to tell you..."

"What? He told you not to tell me?" I exclaimed. he nodded in return.

I sighed "Please. Please just tell me where he is. I really need to talk to him" Austin looked away from he then looked back and nodded.

"Ok. He's not actually in school at the moment. He decided to spend his free period down by the lake." With those words I start running to my car.

"Summer wait! He wants to be alone!" Austin shouts but I ignore him. I get in my new, red mini and head off towards the lake. It's a good thing I go there every summer. It means I know the way. I get there within five minutes and see Jake's car parked in its normal place. I park next to him and get out. The lake is a huge, beautiful place where everyone loves to come. One disadvantage about it is the long grass but, luckily for me, Jake is tall and I can easily see him. I hesitantly start to walk towards him. He hears my feet on the grass and turns around to face me. His eyes are red and puffy which indicates he's been crying. He never cries!

"What do you want?" He asks me, his voice harsher than I expected it to be.

"I, I came here to see if you were ok. You ran out at lunch and I got really worried. I went after you but, Austin beat me to it so I left you alone."

"I'm fine. Nothings wrong. Just leave me alone" He says and turns back around to face the lake.

"No. I will not leave you alone" I shout but then my voice gets softer "Jake, I need to know what's wrong with you. Do you not see how much I care about you? Please just tell me what's wrong" I take a step closer to him and put my hand on his shoulder. He doesn't flinch or push me away which I see as I good sign.

"Jake. Please. What's wrong?" I ask and move to stand next to him, entwining my hand with his.

"Summer, there's nothing wrong. Please just forget about all of this. There's just something on my mind. We should really get back to school." I nod and drag him towards his car.

"Now, are you going to drive back to school or am I going to have to drive you?" He looks me in the eyes.

"I think you're going to have to drive me" he says with a wink.

"There's my cheeky boy back. Cone on then, we better go" I say walking towards my car. Jake grabs my hand and pushes me against his car his body against mine.

"Thank you." he says his breath tickling my nose.

"W-What for?" I stutter. Is it weird that I love how close he is?

"For coming down here to find me. It means a lot" I nod and he pushes himself off me and gets into the passenger side of my car. I stay stuck to the floor. He looks at me and laughs.

"Come on slow coach. Don't want to miss the last two periods do we?"