Chapter Thirteen

If there was one thing I would never be able to get used to, it was how nice Julio could be every once in a while, when he felt like it.

We were currently in Physics class and he had wordlessly handed me a granola bar for the fourth consecutive day.

I never ate breakfast; it just wasn't a habit that I'd had since I was a kid. But, these days, I was oddly hungry and my morning granola bar, courtesy of Julio, tided me over till, sometimes, dinner. He was a godsend.

"Thanks." I said, taking it from his outstretched hand. A small smile took over my face, and I struggled to control it.

"You're welcome." He said, gruffly. He still wasn't used to someone being nice to him, just like I wasn't used to him being nice to me.

Mr. Barker began teaching, and I pouted dramatically, knowing I had to listen, earning a short chuckle from Julio. I made no effort to hide my surprise as I looked at him, as he hardly ever showed attention.

He cocked a questioning eyebrow, and I quickly shook my head, smiling to myself.

Class passed by as quickly as could be expected, and I was as glad as usual when the bell rang. The second it did, I didn't even wait for Mr. Barker to finish his sentence before I shoved my books into my bag and waited for the first person to stand.

It was Julio, and I quickly followed him, poking him in the back to make him move faster. He glared unmeaningly at me and I just shrugged, motioning for him to move. I was also perfectly aware of everyone's eyes on us, but I chose to ignore them.

"You were enthusiastic to get out of there." Julio remarked the moment we were in the hallway, with people streaming out behind us.

"Yeah, I'm just so done. I don't think I can deal with the rest of today, either." I complained moodily.

"What's wrong, princess?" Apparently, that nickname was here to  stay. He sounded a little concerned as he frowned, his eyes darkening.

"I'm just so.......done. I don't know what it is, but I'm just not in the mood for any of this." I gestured around me, frustrated for no reason.

Julio looked at me worriedly for a second, as is concerned for my mental health.

"Come on." He said, after a moment's silence.

"Where?" I asked, wondering what he had in mind.

"I was thinking the warehouse. It sounds like you need a break." He informed me and his offer was much too tempting.

"We shouldn't." I lamented sadly, considering it, "The day literally just started."

"Who cares?" Julio spoke callously, shaking his hair out of his face. I really needed to ask him what kind of conditioner he used.

"And if they call my mom?" I demanded, hands on my hips.

"Again, who cares?"

I let out a short laugh. While he didn't know the truth about how much of a bitch my mother actually was, he did know that we did not get along.

"Alright." I sighed, conceding. Arguing with him when he was in one of these moods was pointless, and I was tired of all the shit that was going on anyway.

I made straight for his motorcycle when we got to the parking lot, rather used to it by now. He gave me the helmet again, despite the number of times I'd protested it.

"I really wish you'd use the damn helmet. It's yours, you know." I grumbled, my words muffled by the shoulder of his leather jacket, which felt oddly cool against my cheek.