6 | The Sixth Chapter

The Sixth Chapter - Stay Away From My Brother And Sister.

.

.

.

As we sat in a little café with a plate of pancakes in front of us both, I took the time to study my twin. We were similar looking, in a way, I suppose; we both had the same pale-coloured hair, the same blue-coloured eyes, and the same olivey-coloured skin. I reckoned his features might've been sharper than mine, though, although I couldn't be sure. He was taller than me, and even though he was thin, he was also strong from all the sports he played (he legitimately played them all), and yet he was the biggest goofball on the planet, always cracking jokes and making light of situations that didn't involve being protective of his sister. I mean, when he wasn't smiling, he could pull off the arrogant, selfish, too-good-to-be-looked-at-by-the-Queen kind of look without a single doubt. He definitely had the best resting bitch face I'd ever seen.

"Okay, I'm only asking because I'm too curious for my own good," I announced finally, holding my coffee in both hands as I blew on the milky liquid to cool it slightly before taking a sip. Cas looked up at me from his food, flicking his head up slightly to get a few loose strands of white hair out of his face so he wouldn't accidentally eat them with the pancakes he was currently shovelling into his mouth.

"What's up?" he asked, his voice muffled from the squashed breakfast that was squished between his cheeks. I bit my lip, hesitating for a moment.

Oh, screw it. Curiosity murdered the fucking cat.

"What made Dad uproot you both in the middle of the night to come ask me for my money?" I questioned finally, taking another slow sip from the big mug in my hands. Cas slowed his jaw muscles gradually, swallowing what was in his mouth so he could answer me. He looked concerned, all of a sudden, and that look always made my breath hitch in my throat. Something had gone wrong.

"I got contacted directly last night," Cas explained slowly, as if thinking carefully about what he was saying. "Someone called me, some guy I didn't recognise. Started asking me about Dad, like he was purposely holding out or something. He threatened to hurt him if some kind of money wasn't scrounged up by next Thursday. I asked him about the money; I didn't think the people he owed money to were that eager to get his money that they'd start threatening him. He told me the situation was direr than he'd originally let on, and that he'd rubbed up the wrong people the wrong way."

"For God's sake," I muttered, putting my coffee down before shaking my head. "He's going to get himself killed one day, Cas."

"That's what I said," Cas agreed. "I asked him if there was anything he could do at that moment. He said he had an idea, and got in the car. I couldn't let him go alone, so... I came with him. I sent you that message earlier to tell you not to answer the phone to anyone you didn't know because I wasn't sure if they'd reach out to you or not. Just to be safe."

"So you got in the car last night, drove up to meet us... then what?"

Cas shrugged, his shoulders squaring up. "We got here, and I asked Dad where we were. Said he'd be able to get some money in here. We knock on the door... voila. Mum answers."

"You didn't know he was coming to see us?" I asked, surprised. Cas shook his head, the blue of his eyes falling to the empty plate of cream and soggy pancake crumbs sitting before him.

"I was so caught up making sure he wasn't going to do anything stupid," he admitted.

"You didn't do a very good job," I muttered, glancing around the room. The café was cute; it was small, with a few tables and booths scattered around, and a fairly decent menu. The pancakes weren't half bad, and the coffee kept me awake, so I wasn't complaining.