Prompt 4

I stared blankly at the opposite wall while I rest my back on the other as I was sitting down on the floor. Who would ever think that I’d have to let my mind suffer on the eve of my 18th birthday? Maybe it was just me. The whole town knows the decision that I need to make since the day I was born—or should I say since every person in this town was born.

I’m never having kids. I thought as I stood up and grabbed the long black cloak that my grandmother handed me this morning.

I squeezed the material before throwing it on my bed. I walked about before giving up and threw myself on my bed just beside the cloak. A few seconds later, I heard knocks on my window created by small pebbles being thrown from the outside. I stood up and opened it before looking down to see my best friend Promise smiling along with her boyfriend Lion.

I quietly climbed out of the window and slipped out before using the tree to help me climb down.

“I’m gonna get in trouble because of you!” I whispered as I looked at our front door which was close and the lights are off.

“I’m sorry, I just have to see you before your birthday” she smiled and I saw her shiny new fangs glimmer against the light.

“Advance happy birthday” Lion smiled and his fangs glimmered as well and it made me swallow. Promise’s 18th was last week and she decided to be a vampire so she could be with Lion for as long as they live.

In this town of ours, people here are either vampires or werewolves but no, they don’t fight each other to death. We all live in peace just like normal people do. We don’t have sheriffs though, the sheriff lives in another town, he just visits sometimes but he never knew the town’s secret. We live near the mountains and people seldom come. But humans are safe from vampires; they don’t suck people’s blood. They feed on deer’s blood—strictly deer’s. And no one gets scared of them because they’re just like normal people, they don’t burn in the sun, and they don’t glimmer. They just look normally pale like someone who never gets exposed to the sunlight. And their fangs only appear at night and their fangs don’t look like those in the movies—it’s just like normal human fangs, just a bit pointier—which I find cool.

The first two families who lived in this place years ago were werewolves and vampires seeking refuge from people who hunted them down to extinction. They decided to lay low and settle at the place. They changed their diets to deer’s (vampires) and bear’s (werewolves) blood and it was passed on ever since so when someone tries a different blood, they throw it up and most of them are scared to try something new because they might be tempted to just try and look for something new other than the traditional one.

Going back to history, so the two families lived in peace and one day, the werewolf’s daughter and the vampire’s son fell in love. It caused the both of their families to worry because they’ll never know what happens to their offspring, if it might be something dangerous or whatever. But because they treasure their children’s happiness and their friendship, they decided to let them be. But they promised that if the child would be dangerous then they’ll kill it and they’ll never reproduce anymore. But what they got as a child surprised them. It grew up normally and looked normal like humans. Thought the kid’s senses were keen like both species. They watched it grow until it stopped aging the night of his 18th.

The two grandfathers then talked about their legacies and came up with a decision because the young man’s parents are arguing if he should be a vampire or a werewolf. They decreed that from that day forth, their children would have the right to choose what they want to become on their eighteenth birthday by choosing a color—red for the vampires and white for the werewolves. Since then, children would grow up like a normal human being and choose once they turn 18. But then you’ll have to live with same species of your choice from then on. You’ll live on the east side of town if you’ll be a vampire and west if you choose to be a werewolf. But of course, you can still mingle with everyone in town and you can marry whoever.