SEVEN

Saturday was quite uneventful with Dera playing video games all day and rambling about his prospects with Khadija in his free time, Oge chose to ignore our existence and hang out with Wale. I've never really understood why she always wanted to be around him, its not like they were going to get married eventually… I just lazed about pretending to pay close close attention to Dera when he wanted to talk while actually filling half of my contact list and fans with gist on the concert whether they were interested or not. I was such an attention whore. Occasionally, I'd enter a world of my own and doze off only to catch myself minutes later. Dera and Oge had slept in on Saturday morning as we arrived home late, but for some reason, I barely slept and I had woken up early -if you've stayed up all night, only to fall asleep for a few minutes before the sun comes out and you're unable to go back to bed as a result, you'd better understand my plight.

Dera's mum had thrown a fit when we came back on Friday night -or rather the wee hours of Saturday morning- threatening to seize Oge's car keys if she wanted to start acting irresponsibly. She didn't forget to spell out the possible dangers we might have encountered on the way back. I couldn't blame her though, no normal parent would be comfortable with having their underaged child or ward coming home from a concert by 1:00AM. Even I was surprised we made it back in one piece, considering all the stories I've heard of kids who were kidnapped in the middle of the night. And it turned out that she had tried contacting Oge when she realized we were running late -which Oge affirmed saying she didn't want want to receive it. See! She's no chaperone!- and it was futile. Like I said, whenever Oge was with that Yoruba demon, she became a rebel.

By Sunday afternoon, I was on my way home. My parents had come to pick me up immediately after church service. Oge, Dera and I didn't attend church service because -well, we had no specific reason, except that we were feeling out of it. To be honest, at the rate we were going, I wouldn't be surprised if one day God decided to punish us or something, though I was pretty sure that wouldn't happen. I definitely was in no rush to be back home, my weekend had been really awesome and stress free without mumci breathing down my neck.

"Good luck," Dera mouthed, while nodding in my mother's direction. He understood. Sighing, I waved him and his mother goodbye -Oge was asleep- and sunk into my position at the backseat.

"Omo Omo, how was your weekend?" My dad asked, casting me a fleeting glance before reverting his focus back to the road.

"It was fine, thank you," I replied with a smile.

He smiled back in return," I see."

"So did you go to church today?" Mumci quipped. Of course she'd ask that.

"No, be-" I stopped before I could complete the statement remembering that I hadn't told her about the concert and I couldn't tell her the actual reason why I didn't go, "-we overslept, so we couldn't make it in time and Aunty sally left without us," I said instead.

Dad shook his head in pity. He knew what was coming next, being a witness to our frequent arguments. From the passenger's side mirror, I could see mumci's face scrunch up in disapproval -she looked extra pretty in her iro and buba Complimented with nicely done makeup. She was on point- not that I'd tell her that of course, she was about to roast me for not going to church and I didn't have enough stamina for comebacks.

"I honestly don't know what to do with you. Do nothing, leave me alone! You are nothing like your sister. Always indifferent and uninterested whenever it comes to the things of God. You just didn't want to attend service today, if not oversleeping is not an excuse," she sighed and continued," Iwò omo alayí gboro,omo eléti didi! I pity you. If you like listen, if you like don't."