Mistake

Title - Mistake
Word Count - 1936
Story Type - Sad, fluff
Summary - The reader tries to warn Oswald about Sofia but he doesn't listen. He soon regrets his decision and confesses to the reader.

When you first met Sofia, you felt something off about her. It could have been paranoia, or subtle anxiety, but you decided to stay on the safe side and go with your gut, so to speak, that she was up to no good. Oswald was somewhat suspicious, just not as much as you were. Sofia always invited him to lunch or dinner and vice versa. Yes, you were a bit jealous, but you would never admit that to Oswald. What made you tick the most was how she always found a way to bring up her father or her name in a conversation. How her father would've done something different, how he would've done this or that. How her name means something.

Aside from that, though, you brought it up a few times to which Oswald simply brushed it off. Ever since she arrived, he paid less attention to you. You were his companion, his partner in crime. Now, you weren't a couple, but a woman can dream. You didn't quite know if he shared the same feelings.

It had been weeks since she'd arrived. You all thought she was planning something, but it turns out it was just an orphanage. Since then, he met a mute boy and you barely saw Oswald anymore. He seemed to trust Sofia and he found his new friend. Now, you didn't know what or who you were to Oswald. Yet, you saw something in Sofia that no one else could. She was a monster. You saw her evil looks and smirks when his back was turned to her. You saw the dirty expressions she gave you, the look in her eye that made your blood boil.

You played nice, though. You faked a sweet facade around Oswald and the boy, Martin. Inside, you were suffering. A piece of your heart chipping away at every glance you had directed towards him just to see him talking to the boy or Sofia instead of you, the person he once trusted the most and looked to for advice. You decided to confront him about it sooner or later, whenever he was alone. Later in the day, you finally found that chance. He was in his office at the lounge and you walked towards the open door. Your heart beat grew faster with every step you took. You were nervous, not because of your feelings for him, but for how he would react.

You stopped in the doorway and knocked on the open door to alert him of your presence. Oswald's head shot up from where he was looking and he smiled when he saw you, standing up to greet you. "Hello, (Y/n)." You met him in the middle of the room.

"I hope I'm not interrupting your work." You said worriedly.

"No, not at all. It's always a pleasure speaking to you." This made your heart shatter knowing what you were about to do. Your mouth was slightly moving as if you were about to say something, but your voice wouldn't let you. "Is something wrong?" Oswald asked, his voice laced with concern.

"Oswald, I-I," Your mouth was open, trying as hard as you could to complete your sentence but it was utterly difficult.

"(Y/n), you're scaring me, what's wrong?" You took a deep, shaky breath before speaking.

"I'm worried, Oswald." You stated simply. Your expression alone was proof that you weren't lying.

"Why are you worried?" He laid his hand on your shoulder in an attempt to calm your emotions but it only made things worse.

"Sofia," You saw his expression turned into one of confusion.

"Why are you worried about her?"

"I'm not worried about her, I'm worried about what she's doing to you." You stated harshly, immediately becoming angered and annoyed. He looked taken back and slightly offended.

"What do you mean? She's trying to help me better the city. Don't tell me you're going on about this again." Oswald quickly became angered and annoyed as well.