Chapter 8: Transformation

Ever get pissed off at some random person and it just fucks up your day? My grandpa gave me a solution I hadn't tried until recently, and it actually works. It's called being really fucking smug!

The next day, I'm waiting for my bus, having a cigarette. The bus pulls up and we walk up. The driver doesn't open the doors for us. Weird.

"Your cigarette," says the woman in front of me as I put it out.

"My cigarette?"

"Yeah, he was motioning towards your cigarette."

Okay, perhaps if I were in the Port Authority or a bus depot or something, I'd have understood. But I was on the sidewalk at a bus stop - which is public property.

"Your cigarette," the bus driver says in a froggy foreign accent. "You cannot smoke on bus."

"I know. I was smoking outside the bus."

"You don't bring cigarette on the bus!"

"I wasn't."

"That's right!" Suddenly, I remembered this driver from a previous experience - we'd actually talked a while back.

"Hey, don't you remember me?" I said. "You've seen me before-"

"Don't you speak that shit to me!" he interrupted. Blink. Blink. I got incensed and sat down. I didn't want to start an argument with him and get thrown off the bus. At least not until Port Authority. I looked up the life of male model on my phone, hoping it would quell my annoyance. (It didn't.)

He ended up chewing out a foreign guy who got on after me. The foreign guy was, in fact, rather polite. And I'd later learn, he'd yelled at a couple other passengers, too. Guess he was having a bad day.

So I was one of the first ones off the bus, so I asked him, "What's your name?"

"Check the bus number!" He pointed at it.

"8238? Great. I just want you to know I'll be filing a complaint. Have a great day!" I grinned and walked off as he cursed after me. God, that "Have a great day!" worked wonders - I felt better instantly. Two women came up from behind me at the Port Authority.

"That was great. He yelled at us, too."

So, take that, froggy. Sawyer - 1. NYTransit - 0. And for the record, I do hope you had a great day. On the unemployment line.

I arrive at a studio in New York. It was a boring looking building and it had the same flyer my mom gave me. I walked inside and into a room full of a bunch of men just...hanging out. I seriously felt out place. Now I'm a straight guy, but these men were beautiful. Between 5'11" and 6'2", fit, dressed nicely, and looked good for their age. All of them. I didn't get any looks walking in, so I just sat down and observed. I felt so out of place. I was wearing a black jacket, Star Wars t-shirt, jeans, and dirty sneakers.

I didn't want to bug anybody so I just laid back in my chair and waited. A few minutes later, a flamboyant man and two photographers entered the room.

"Hello!" The flamboyant man sorta sang. "My name is Shannon, and welcome to the try-outs! First we gonna split y'all in groups. Dressing rooms are down the hall, there's enough for everybody."

He gave us a long explanation basically saying that you think you have what it takes to become a model, it's quite possible you do. And hey, even if you're not exactly Tyson Beckford, don't worry; there are possibilities for less-attractive guys who wish to work in this field -- modeling for hair, hands, eyewear, etc.

After that a cute girl approached me and ask me to follow her.

She lead me to a dressing room. Inside there was a large mirror with light bulbs all around the edges, just like in the movies. I sat down in the chair and turned away from the mirror.

"Im just gonna spruce you up, baby." the girl said. I nodded, leaned back in my chair, closed my eyes and let her do what she needed to do.

After hour of get getting my hair nicked by a large comb, she's turns my chair to the mirror. God, my neck was so sore from leaning back for so long...but I looked and to my surprise, I looked like a different person- I mean a totally different person.

My hair was curtained and I had a light tan (possibly form a computer screen, or some shit). For once I felt decent looking...

But I also felt that this look isn't gonna last not forever.

...Did I mention my neck is really stiff?