Chapter Two: The Jacket, The Bike, And The Car

°"If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist?"°

•○○•○○•○○•

"It has come to my attention that three of our beloved students in Hawkins have gone missing. They include the names of Esme Henderson, Will Byers, and Barbara Holland."

Steve Harrington couldn't keep still, his feet tapping in a rhythm of fast beats. From time to time, Tommy and Carol would glare at him, clearly annoyed at his loudness in the quiet gym. It had been three days, of not seeing Esme in her seat, looking out the window. It had been three days, of not hearing Wills bike roll by his house, shouting things at his goofy friends. It had been three days, of not listening to the stupid rants of Barbara, her glasses perched at the tip of her nose like an librarian.

" The police are still investigating, meaning they are off-limits to questions at the time. All I can say, is if you have anything regarding to their disappearances, come to me please. My door is always open, as well as the Councilors. "

He swore he imagined it, he swore it on his life. He heard her scream, he knew he had, but at the same time, he questioned it. Maybe it was better that way, but at the same time, not at all. He remembered hearing a scream, somehow knowing it was her. Being the stupid boy he was though, decided he'd wait till Tommy and Carol had left the house. It was a mistake to do that.

He had found himself running to the street where they once talked. There it was, her jacket, dried blood covering the fabric, some on the black, paved asphalt street. He remembered clutching it tightly in his hand, then running to his house, calling Chief Hopper franticly. That was all though, a small story but it still made his sick to his stomach. He never heard from her family though, nobody did, the two members grieving someone that they only knew.

Then Will Byer disappeared in the forest, a bike as his only witness. He'd never seen Dustin so distraught, first his sister, then his friend. Barbara disappeared next, at Steves own house, though people rumored that she ran away. Even though he only aknowledged the red-headed when Nancy had been around, he knew it was unlike her. Nancy said she had left his car at her house, but one day it was gone, just like that. The girl was too smart and straightforward to do such a thing as that.

Once, once Nancy had asked about Esme. At that point, their relationship fell apart , not wanting to be in something that was built on loss now. Nancy was confused, knowing he had never spoken to the girl before, at least not with her around. It didn't matter anymore though, their guilt eating up the bond they once had. Nancy started to hang out with Jonathan Byers afterward, the guy she never talked to, but now did.

"They are not dead, for have hope! This is Hawkins, they will be found sooner or later! That is all."

The Principal stepped off his podium quickly, his head hung low in the darkness of the gymnasium lights. Steve ran a shaky hand through his hair, standing up with wobbly knees. The school had called a gathering of all the students who knew the missing victims, but now it was over with. He fumbled for his watch, yanking it our of his tight blue jeans. It was '9:32', just enough time to grab a drink from one of the many little stores that stayed up late.