Gwen.

"Where is he?", Gwen asked.
"In his bedroom. You don't think he hates me do you?", I asked my friend with a slightly shaky voice.
"Well...you killed his parents, David. Max loves you really, but it's gonna take a lot of time for him to get over this."
"But, why!? He didn't even know them, and if he did then he'd know I did the right thing! They were bad people as well as bad parents. I'm much better for max than they could ever be!", I exclaimed, trying with all my strength not to tear up.
"Yeah, well they were his birth parents, I'm not surprised he's upset. Why would you leave his parents files lying around for, anyways? I thought you were done with the whole hitman thing.", she said as she began walking upstairs, implying that her question was rhetorical.

I rushed up the stairs to follow her, and saw her standing outside Max's room. "Should I try talking to him?", she offered. "You can try.", I sighed, running my fingers through my hair.
Gwen knocked softly on his door. "Max?", she said, "Can I come in?"
There was no reply. Gwen looked at me and shrugged, but her head turned back towards Max's door when he cracked it open just a tiny bit. He's vibrant turquoise eyes met my dull green ones. I offered him a warm smile, but what I received in return was the look of possible sadness or fear before he scowled at me. My heart dropped. Fear. Is Max scared of me? That's what I've always dreaded. My own son, scared of me.

He turned his attention back to Gwen. "I guess...you can come in.", he said quietly. He opened the door wider, allowing for Gwen to enter the room. "Thanks Max.", she said as she walked through the door. Me and Max's eyes met one more time as he slammed the door, breaking our connection. I sighed and rubbed my face with my hands. I hope Gwen says all the right things.