ONE

"so what is it you've got to say?"

chris watched as the boy stepped off of the last of the concrete steps that lead down into the boys' locker room and wrapped his arms around himself. it was cold down there, chris had to admit.

"tell me, then," chris said, as the boy - phichit - sat down on the bench by locker 23, "yuri's been hanging around victor for how long?"

"i don't know," phichit shrugged looking uneasy. there was a shower dripping somewhere nearby. "i - "

"then why are you wasting my time?" chris demanded. "phichit - " he sounded irritated now.

"yes," he replied sharply, jaw set. "that's my name."

fuck this.

chris sighed, running his hands through his hair.

is he really going to bring that up?

"right," he went on, tying to shake off phichit's tone of voice and the memories it sent reeling, "you told me you knew about something going on with yuri and victor, yeah?"

phichit tapped the nearby locker, clicking his tongue. he was in a white daisy tee and flares ripped jeans. chris thought he was cute. fucking cliché art student.

"that's not exactly what i said," phichit sighed, and the shower continued dripping in the distance. chris groaned.

"then why the fuck - "

"i said i thought there was something strange happening wig the both of them," phichit snapped. "don't drag up old stuff now, chris, ok? don't take out unresolved issues of ours on me now, jus because i can't solidly tell you whether your boyfriend is fucking yuri katsuki - "

chris slapped phichit, and the sound bounced off of the blue lockers like a bullet. phichit sighed, and brushed the blood from his mouth. chris rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly.

"i'm sorry," he mumbled awkwardly. phichit shook his head.

"i deserved that," he said quietly. the shower dripping filled the silence.

"that's weird," chris said aloud. "i thought the door said "OUT OF USE," but the floor isn't flooded anymore."

phichit still didn't look at him because of his burning cheeks and memories of making out with chris giacometti in the back of his blue cadillac. he was right though; the floor wasn't flooded anymore. strange.

"look i'm sorry," chris said again, clearing his throat. "i'm just...y'know...god, all this stuff with victor - "

"i get it," phichit said, with a small smile. "i do."

another pause. phichit wondered whether he should say something about still having chris's jacket. he didn't.

"do you just wanna go to that assembly now?" he said, gesturing up the stairs. "it's only just started, and i don't think you wanna be talking about this right now."

chris sighed uncomfortably, then nodded. phichit managed a smile. his bottom lip still hurt.

"you have my number," he said, "so just call me, yeah?"

"yeah," chris said, and the both of them started towards the stairs.

"so," phichit started, "i heard something about you and anya - "

the sound of gunshots ringing throughout the school halls made them freeze up like artists' sculptures.