Chapter 1

(Juliet’s P.O.V.)

Pushing my way through the hordes of kids, I struggled to make my way to my locker. I hated school. I hated the daily torture I had to go through in this bitter building. The name calling, the punching, the food throwing, the

hair pulling. All of it, it was hell.

Staggering slightly, I regained my balance as I pushed on. Elbows and backpacks collided with my face causing me to wince slightly. Why is everyone so tall? Another bag swung around on a direct collision course with my forehead, but luckily I managed to dodge that one. Only to then have my foot stepped on by someone else.

“Ouch,” I hissed through clenched teeth. That hurt.

Finally reaching the other side of the mob, I straightened out my Misfits t-shirt and pushed a lock of my long blonde hair back behind my ear. Sighing, I walked over to the lockers against the south wall of the hall. I turned the lock to each of the three numbers of my combination and opened my locker with a sickening crunch. That didn't sound good. This school was falling apart.

I put away my books and folders before closing my locker and retrieving my iPod from my pocket. Putting in my headphones, I pressed shuffle and smiled as one of my favourite Avril Lavigne songs started playing. Turning away from the lockers I begin to stride towards the exit.

But me being the clumsy person I am, managed to walk straight into a pillar. Stepping back I shook my head a little and looked up.

Um… that’s not a pillar.

My heart started hammering in my chest and I could feel the cruel sick feeling of fear lurking in my stomach. I’d walked straight into Joseph; the schools most popular jock, and my own personal tormentor.

“Run,” my head was yelling at me, but I knew I wouldn’t get very far. I wasn’t athletic in the slightest, he’d catch me for sure.

So instead I just stood there. A statue. A deer in the headlights. Vulnerable.

The edges of his thin lips turned upwards in a smirk. I gulped. Why wouldn’t he just leave me alone?

“Where do you think you’re going?” he asked. I stared down at the floor, trying to block his voice out by concentrating on the music. I heard him snicker.

“Is the rabbit too afraid to speak to the big bad wolf?” he laughed as he spoke.

I could feel the fear bubbling in my stomach like a vicious poison; destroying me from the inside out. I was scared sick, but I was angry too. I was fed up with having to deal with his shit, day in and day out.

I felt my earphones being ripped out of my ears and my iPod being lifted out of my hands hurriedly. “Whatcha listening to?” he taunted.

“Noo,” my voice shook. “Give it back.” Music was the one thing that kept me going. He couldn’t take that away from me too. Could he? He smirked, pleased with my reaction.

“Nope,” he sneered, slapping me hard across the face. I flinched, retreating back a few steps before looking back up. A sly smile crept across his features.

“What do you want?” I whispered, defeated. I didn’t have the strength to fight. I didn’t stand a chance against him of

all people.

“Hmm… let me think. Do my homework for a week,” he demanded.

My eyes widened. “A whole week-“ I protested, but was cut off halfway through by another slap across my face. I rubbed my now red skin with my palm.

He glared at me, his eyes burning into my skin.

“Okay, I’ll do it,” I sighed.

“Good,” he grinned victoriously. “I better get good grades or else you’ll be paying, freak.” And with that, he dropped my iPod and strode off.

Crouching down, I picked up my iPod, which luckily wasn’t broken by the fall thanks to the Batman silicone cover that my mom had bought me for my birthday.

I guess doing Joseph’s homework for a week wouldn’t be too bad. It could be worse. At least it was Friday, and I could relax knowing that I wouldn’t have to see him for two days.

Tumblr, Wattpad, late nights, and coffee awaited me. Putting my earphones back in, I made my way home, the harsh sting of hatred still burning in my face.