Three

Gellert Grindlewald started his reign of terror at his school Durmstrang, near Germany. Many died because of his campaign of wiping out muggles for the "greater good". In 1945, he was defeated by Albus Dumbledore.

Yet merely a decade later, a wizard named Voldemort came to continue the spread of terror, killing almost at random and recruiting a brand of witches and wizards as cruel as him, called the Death Eaters. Whenever they killed they would send the Dark Mark, a serpent coming out of a skull's mouth, into the sky. Most of the wizarding poplulation were afraid of him, referring him to You-Know-Who or He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

Ten years before, however, when Voldemort set out to kill a family, the curse rebounded on the baby somehow and Voldemort was gone, reduced to nothing, never to be seen or heard of again. The baby was Harry Potter, how an eleven-year-old and attending Hogwarts with Winteria and Susan in their year.

"Is he dead? Voldemort?" Winteria asked.

"Most likely," said Susan. "Even if he isn't dead...well, he's worse than dead. Barely alive."

Then the girls fell into an awkward silence. For a while Winteria just looked outside the window, at the beautiful lakes and mountains they were passing. The fear of being different crept upon her again as evening fell and she saw the castle grow nearer. 

What if she wasn't actually magical? What if it was all just a mistake, all those incidents mere coincidences? What if the Sorting Hat just remained silent, and Winteria was sent back home? How would she face her excited, expectant grandparents? What would her friends back home think of her, a supposedly gifted girl being sent back from her boarding school for the gifted? Her brain was once again crammed with thoughts like when she just stepped on the Hogwarts Express, and the tide of horrible considerations just kept on rolling. Winteria wished she was the girl sitting across from her; Susan knew she was a witch and would have no problem fitting in at the magical school...

Finally, the train came to a stop. The two girls stood up and left their trunks on the train , to be carried into Hogwarts separately, then got off the train. As Winteria walked closer and closer to the castle, her heart pounded as though it would burst out of her rib cage.

————————————————

A/N: Merry Christmas to all of you! 🎄