long scarves and hot coco

As soon as you agreed to let them help you, you were dragged away by Fionna who would teach you the basics of Christmas.

The two of you walked and talked as you ventured to the library run by Turtle Prince.

"So what you mean to tell me is that each and every person in Aaa allows a jolly fat man dressed up in red to break into their homes and leave presents before riding off in a sleigh pulled by flying deer?"

"Ah, ah, ah..."

"Sorry. Reindeer?"

"Well... that's part of the whole Christmas theme."

"Your holiday is strange and a little confusing. I can see now why my family never celebrated it." You paused for a moment, staring at the snow beneath your feet. "But... it does support peace. So I'm willing to continue trying."

"Let that be your motivation. I'm sure the library has some stories we could use to help you understand better."

Quick to get out of the cold, the two of you scurried into the archives.

"Hey Turtle Prince." Fionna greeted. "Can you point us in the direction of the Christmas shelf?"

"Hi Fionna. If you want the Christmas shelf, check Section 11a."

"Thanks." She waved, leading the way to the requested section. "Let's start with something simple... oh, this is a classic." She pulled a red book from the shelf—its title showing the word...

"Grinch...?" You questioned aloud.

"Yep. How the Grinch Stole Christmas."

"How can someone steal Christmas? It's a holiday."

"Well... he didn't exactly steal the holiday, but he stole what the Who's thought was needed to make it feel like the holiday."

"So he stole...?"

"The trees, the presents, the lights, the stockings, the food—basically every Christmas-y item he could."

"But it's not the items that make Christmas special—it's the sentimentality. The wonderful feeling of being together."

"You catch on quick. But the Who's, well... they didn't. You see, for years, they thought that Christmas was all about the presents. Getting toys and what not. They were so happy receiving things. But the Grinch, the one person in all of Whoville who hated Christmas, wasn't happy because he received a terrible gift. And with the belief that gifts were all Christmas was about, he left Whoville and grew bitter towards the Who's and their festive activities."

"He hated how happy they were..."

"Exactly. But one girl, Cindy Lou Who, saw that there was a different feeling in the air. She saw that Christmas wasn't just about gifts. It was about what you currently believe."

"Friendship, family, and peace."

"Right again. So she pursued the Grinch in hopes that he wouldn't feel alone on Christmas. She wanted him to be happy. And once he saw what she was really trying to do, he returned everything to Whoville. But they became different after that experience. They all learned that it wasn't about the gifts, the feasts, or events. It was about—"

"Love." The blonde nodded, smiling brightly. "I have a better understanding now."

"Good. Now let me teach you about mistletoe. It's a very delicate thing, but also very dangerous..."

You spent an hour in the library with Fionna, expanding your knowledge on the holiday so foreign to you. But Cake awaited your return to the treehouse. You sprinted through the freezing cold, which nipped at what little bits of skin was exposed. Thankfully, you'd made it just in time before you completely froze to death.