Destiny

This story is dedicated to Bozana, who encouraged me to write this story.

Plus, it's always good to have someone to discuss story ideas with. 

Ava looked up from the scroll. The High Priest had entered the room. She bowed her head towards him. “Ava” he said, nodding back. He walked away and she returned to the scroll. The particular scroll she was reading was over two million years old, written by a High Priest of old. It was a precious, but plain document, a remembrance of an age long past, and arts lost through time. It was only available to members of the Aire- the religious group who worship the Air God, the peaceful Watchers of the Universe. The scroll was of no use to anyone now, but Ava was an avid researcher, eager to find out more about everything, even Lost Arts she will never be able to control. It was her passion- as with most Air Monks.

 Ava wasn't like other girls her age. She wasn’t adventurous or daring. She wasn’t like other air mages either. Most young air mages were fun and careless, irresponsible and reckless, but Ava was serious. She had known from a young age she was destined for temple life, and had followed her dream.

Ava was, even among the monks, still considered quite odd. She was far more serious than the other acolytes. That’s why she was in the library. The other acolytes were probably outside, laughing and gossiping. A few teachers had tried to get her to join them, but after a few months of her politely declining their offers, they had stopped.

She pored herself into reading the book. She blocked out all other senses, but eventually, she realised she had company. She looked up to see a small boy there. 

"Can I help you?" she asked.

He smiled back.

“No.”  He seemed to be laughing at her.

She frowned at him.

“Okay,” she muttered, and returned to her book. When she looked up again, he was gone.