1- You'll Be Back

Have you ever run away from someone who you knew you could never really get away from. No matter how far you run or how much you hide, they always come back. Almost like a thorn at your side, they return to you and stay there until you pack up and run away again. This is my third time running away from my uncle. I love him, but it's just not the same. Like a bird, I need to spread my wings and fly. In all honesty, I'm not running away from him. I am running from the past. It envelopes my mind like a wild fire and suffocates me. I used to able to breathe when it was just Momma and I. I could pop my head above the smoke and breathe; take some time to calm my thoughts. Even when she was alive, I had horrible anxiety. She always used to tell me that I received it from my father's side. Uncle Ron and I are in the same boat, I guess; We are just trying to float above the smoke and embers.

     Throwing my clothes in a suitcase, I hear a knock on the door. "Honey, are you okay in there? Dinner is ready. Go get washed up." I feel guilty for needing to leave Uncle Ron without an explaination. Zipping up my suitcase and opening the door, I muster up the best response I could come up with. 

"I'm not going to able to join you for dinner Ronny. I have to go meet up with a friend and get away for awhile. I have a good job opportunity in Newport, Rhode Island," I say, not meeting his eyes. He gently grabs my chin, forcing me to look at him.

"What are you talking about Em? Why are you always running away?" he asks, as I look away and start to head down the stairs.

"I'm not running away Uncle Ron. Maybe just a change of scenery will clear my head. I need this Ronny. Please," I say, grabbing my keys and looking at him, with tears forming in my eyes. I hate to leave him, but I cannot stay coped up in this house any longer. He slowly walks down the stairs, keeping his eyes locked with mine the entire time. He wraps his arms around me and I breathe in his earthy, homey smell. He rubs my back soothingly and only until we break the embrace, do I realize that I've been crying. Walking to the door, I look back to see him smile and a tear escapes his watering eye. Opening the door I bolt to my car, ready to put everything behind me and start a new life, at least for a couple of weeks.

---------------------------------

Did you like it? Leave comments and let me know your thoughts. Have a great day and keep reading!

 Have a great day and keep reading!