What It Means To Be Human

What's this? What's this? There're words upon the screen. What's this? What's this? Whatever could this be? It's chapter that's what. No I told you in the notice I didn't die. No this story is far from over. But anyways hope y'all had a wonderful Christmas, I did! With a new addition to the family, Krem, my bearded dragon:

 But anyways hope y'all had a wonderful Christmas, I did! With a new addition to the family, Krem, my bearded dragon:

But anyways I'd like to dedicate this chapter to all of my wonderful readers who take the time to enjoy this story. Phoenix you're one of them, and sorry I didn't send this to you first, but hey Merry Late Christmas everyone. Yay, now chapter! BTW LOVING THE FEEDBACK!!

————————————————————————

    'It was a while back. It was late fall if I remember correctly,' Ichigo recalled, 'Orihime and I had gone to a local cafè to cram for upcoming exams. We were talking about what we'd do when we graduated and we some how ended up on the subject of one's sense of humanity.'

     "I agree that someone's understanding of the importance of human life, and all life in general, is reflected directly through their actions, but there's more to it than that," Orihime had reasoned, "It depends on their thought process." Seeing Ichigo's confused face she elaborated, "What I mean by that is someone can act saintly and kindhearted, but in reality they only commit acts of charity for their own gain and convenience." Ichigo nodded in understanding and replied, "I have to admit that's some pretty solid reasoning." Orihime smiled as the memory faded into the abyss of Ichigo's mind.

    'Later during the winter, Orihime and I met up again. This time was much less light hearted, seeing as this was shortly after the incident at the canopy of Las Noches.'

     "Tell what it's like to be human." Ichigo implored. Orihime was astounded by Ichigo's unusual request. "Why do you want to know?" Orihime inquired, seeking answers for the odd demand. "I'm not human anymore, so tell me what it's like to be human." Ichigo replied solemnly. Orihime was quick to reply, "I don't know, why don't you tell me, there's nothing inhuman about you."

     It was no surprise to Ichigo when Orihime spoke out against Soi Fon. Her shield now raised, separating her and Ichigo from Soi Fon who now had her zanpakto drawn. "You're weak to rely on this human to protect you, Kurosaki." Soi Fon growled as she unsheathed her zanpakto, broke through Orihime's shield, and held it to Ichigo's neck. Ichigo scoffed, "What gives you the right to determine what is weak and what isn't."  With a sharp hiss Soi Fon drove her zanpakto toward Ichigo. "Shiten Koshun, I reject!" Orihime called forth a new shield that when Soi Fon's zanpakto hit a responsive attack was fired. Orihime wasted no time using Soi Fon's opening to get to Ichigo and prepare for their opposer to make a move. Soi Fon glared at the couple as she sheathed her zanpakto, and grudgingly said, "The girl is right I have no proof. You can go this time Kurosaki, just remember that the Soul Society is watching."

       Orihime and Ichigo arrived at Urahara's shop late the day the raid ended, and took up the option of staying the night. "What did you two get into that caused these injuries?" Urahara asked as Tessai patched up Ichigo's and Orihime's scratches and burns. As Ichigo stood and headed toward the back room where Urahara had laid out a pair of futons, he sighed, "In the morning it's a long story."

       Orihime soon joined Ichigo in their temporary room. Ichigo laid with his back turned to her, his silhouette shuddering. Orihime pattered over to him and sat on the edge of his futon, wrapping an arm around his waist and pulling him into her lap. Tears silently streaked the strained boys face as Orihime ran a hand through his hair in a comforting manner. She held Ichigo until his crying slowed and he calmed down.

     For a while the pair sat in each other's company, silence was welcome after the prior chaos. Out of the blue Ichigo spoke up, "Do you think Soi Fon is right, that I'm weak?" Ichigo hid his face in Orihime's shoulder as he continued, "I'm not strong enough to control this final form, and I'm terrified. I'm terrified. What can I do to stop this from happening, from losing control and killing someone. I don't... I don't want to lose my life, my family and friends, and most of all... I... I don't want to lose you, Orihime. You're too damn important to me, now I have something more to fight for, but I don't know what to fight against," Ichigo took a moment breathing in deeply, "If I fight against myself I get nowhere, what am I supposed to do?"

    Orihime held him tighter as she laughed lightly. "Ichigo, you are strong, I've told you before and I will tell you time and again. I used to look at you and wonder, 'How can one person be so strong? How can one person make such a difference when they're all that's left?' But then I realized everyone is strong in their own way, and they are strong because they have a goal. Whether that goal be protecting, gaining, or destroying something, the goal makes them strong. So I set a goal for myself, 'Find a way to be helpful to Ichigo, so I can be strong with him.'" Stopping only for a moment to let her words sink in, Orihime pushed forward, "You have flaws Ichigo, and when others see them they'll take advantage of them. But what they don't realize is that your flaws make you undeniably human. What a hollow cannot even begin to grasp, you so purely represent, the human's will to protect." Placing a light kiss on Ichigo's lips, Orihime laid them down on the futon and whispered, "Let's go to sleep now."