Chapter 3: Sparks of Romance?

Ellis woke up to see Zoey curled up on her side, cuddling next to him smiling. He smiled at her and whispered, "Well looks like I slept with an angel." She smiled even wider, and nuzzled her head in his arm. He laughed quietly and looked at her. I wish that she would notice me, he thought. Then, Zoey opened her eyes slowly and got up just as slow. She stretched and yawned, and then she smiled at Ellis. "Good morning," she said. He smiled back and blushed. "Mornin' darlin'. 'Ya slept good?" he asked. She scooted closer to him and held his hand. "Of course I did. How did you sleep?" He blushed and let her sit on his lap. "Honestly, I was staying up until 5 AM worrying about you, darlin'." Zoey tilted her head. "Why were you worried?"

He smiled at her. "Because I don't want a pretty lil' thing like you getting hurt," he said. She blushed and looked down. He brought her chin back up so their noses were practically touching. Right as they closed their eyes and leaned in to kiss each other, the door opened. Nick was standing there, and he looked pissed. "What the hell?" he asked. Zoey coughed and got off of Ellis' lap and went in the bathroom. As she walked away, Ellis followed his eyes on her. Then he looked back at Nick and rubbed the back of his neck. "Um...what are we havin' for breakfast?" he asked with an embarrassed tone in his voice. Nick still had that pissed look on his face. It was silent for most of the time, until Zoey walked out with her face nice and fresh; all of the blood, flesh, and guts from the zombies were off of her face for once in her life. Nick and Ellis just stared at her. She looked back and forth at them, and finaly walked out and downstairs to the kitchen. Ellis then coughed and followed her down. Nick was still standing there, still looking pissed. It was only what seemed like 5 minutes until he walked downstairs. On the stairwell, Zoey was sitting on a few stairs, restin her head in her hands, elbows on her knees. She thought to herself, "Why he hell am I doing this? I can't let love get in the way of fighting." She broke out of her thought when Ellis said, " What's wrong, Zoey?"  

"Huh? Oh...nothing. I'm still sleepy...that's all," she said. She got up, and stood there, facing Ellis. She wasn't looking at him, but he could tell she wanted to say something to him. All of a sudden, Zoey hugged Ellis tight. He was shocked at first because it happened so fast, but he hugged her tight as well. "It's okay, darlin'. I'm here," he whispered softly in her ear. Zoey had more butterflies, and now she knew that she truley was in love with him.

      She was in love with Ellis. The man from the deep south of Georgia. Who would always carry a shotgun. Who would tell stories about his buddy Keith. About Jimmy Gibbs Jr. She loved him with all her heart.