Epilogue

~*~*~*~

The Song of Hope Series
"The Tiger Lily"

Epilogue

~.~.~.~

Alvin waited in his little car on the sidewalk as Brittany carefully climbed in over the door. It was a small convertible hot-rod, built by Simon long ago, with a cherry-red finish and pretty golden flame decals.

Brittany pulled her tail into a more comfortable position and brushed down her dress as she settled down. She glanced over at Alvin, and he looked at her, sharing one of the few quiet gazes they'd ever had.

"Whatever happens next," Brittany said firmly, "I'm with you."

"You're not going to go all squishy on me, are you?" Alvin quipped.

"Never," Brittany replied, "But don't make me regret this, Seville."

Alvin chuckled. "You're a Seville now, too, you know."

"...I am, aren't I? Oh no," Brittany joked.

Alvin laid his hand on hers.

"Are you ready to go home...Lillian?"

Brittany was taken aback by the sudden use of her old name, one that hadn't met her ears since she was nothing but a pup. Slowly, her fingers closed around Alvin's, and she looked at him again, not bothering to hide the few tears that welled in her eyes.

"Yeah, let's go home. But...don't call me that anymore. I'm Brittany now."

"Oho, you're always you, Brit," Alvin said with a smile and a wink, "Besides...Lillian, my Tiger Lily? That's kinda hot."

Brittany slapped his hand away and fought back a laugh, looking away so she could hide a wide smile. "Dr-drive, Seville! Before I kick you out and make you walk!"

"Wait, am I sleeping on the couch already!?" Alvin exclaimed.

"Alvin!"

Laughing aloud, Alvin pressed the pedal and sent the little battery-powered hot rod speeding down the sidewalk, causing Brittany's stomach to flip. Slowly, the chipette sat up. The nighttime summer air was sweet and damp, pleasantly warm and refreshing as the chipmunks sped along in the topless car. A few sprinkles from the earlier rainstorm tickled their faces.

Brittany raised her chin and closed her eyes, genuinely happy as she allowed the breeze to ruffle her hair and fur. Smiling in admiration, Alvin watched the rippling of her tan and orange fur, her long hair waving freely behind her like a flag of victory. She noticed, and returned his gaze, watching the sparkle in his hazel eyes as yellow streetlights washed over them.

"You know," Alvin began carefully, "Everyone else has their dreams to chase, but...I've never seen myself doing anything other than this. If you're up for it, well..."

"What're you thinking?" Brittany asked over the hum of the big tires.

Alvin looked at her and smiled a real smile. "Well, Alvin and the Chipmunks and The Chipettes might be galloping off into the sunset, but that doesn't mean we have to go yet."

He reached out and squeezed her hand. "A little while longer on stage sounds nice, doesn't it? Some TV shows here, some hosting there, maybe a bit of what we do best, eh, Brit? What do you say? Just you and me."

Brittany's face lit up, as if a way forward had finally become clear to her.

"Just you and me," she repeated softly, and smiled back.

Holding hands, the lifelong friends ventured into the night. They ventured into the unknown, the future, to whatever adventures, journeys, hardships, and tragedies awaited them. There was no greater unknown than the future, and yet there was no greater way to face it than side by side with the people you love the most.

So continues the tale of Alvin Seville and Brittany Lillian Seville...

~*~*~*~
THE END
~*~*~*~

Dear Reader:
No matter how long, no matter how late, your
thoughts matter to me as a reader and writer.

Thank you for joining in on this little adventure,
and I'll see you next time around.

~R~