Chapter One

Hospital chairs were becoming the absolute bane of Aurora Argent's existence. There was no possible way to make them comfortable and it was driving her crazy. The brunette had taken it upon herself to camp outside Lydia Martin's hospital room as Allison was barely allowed out of her parent's sight – Rory not suffering the same fate due to the fact that she wasn't their child – and the younger cousin didn't doubt that her family's extensive list of hunter friends would try something.

At this particular moment, Rory was sitting with her right leg crossed over her left, a medical journal open in her lap as she read over an article about an Alzheimer's trial that was being conducted in Seattle. It was rather interesting and unconducted, which drew Rory in because it was new to the medical world and explored techniques that other surgeons hadn't even thought to try.

The seat to her right, or seats, were occupied by a sleeping Stiles. The boy had joined her about an hour ago, bringing dinner from a diner down the street that Rory had gotten to know rather well over the last few weeks that Lydia had spent in the hospital. The boy was snoring peacefully, occasionally muttering something under his breath that Rory could never make out. The 'get well soon' balloon that Rory had tied to his wrist upon his arrival was slowly deflating and looked rather sad as it had been bought six days ago.

Lydia's father, a man that had met Rory on multiple occasions glanced over at the pair and sighed heavily before turning to Melissa McCall,
"Have they been here all night?"

"No" Melissa responded bluntly with a shake of her head,
"Rory's been here all weekend, Stiles brought her dinner about an hour ago"

Rory chewed on a piece of gum as she flicked over a page in the journal, continuing to read about the trial, blowing a bubble that let out a small pop as it burst which woke Stiles. The boy jumped, hitting his head on the balloon, causing Rory to glance over at him for a moment before looking back down at the journal.

"Did you sleep?" Stiles questioned.

"Nope"

"Did you eat?"

"Yep"

"Did you notice that my hair's green?"

"I'm reading, not stupid"

Stiles grinned as Rory glanced over at him with a grin of her own. The boy jumped up, stretching slightly as he removed the balloon from his wrist,
"I'm gonna go get something from the vending machine. Do you want anything?"

"No thanks" Rory shook her head gently.

"I'll get you some chocolate"

Rory smiles to herself as she glanced over at the back of the boy's retreating figure, she shook her head gently before muttering,
"Idiot"

Rory flicked the page over in the journal to continue reading the article when a loud smashing noise from the direction that Stiles had walked in made her head snap up and look in that direction. She frowned gently to herself before going back to the journal.

A jolt rushed through Rory's body when a piercing scream ripped through the air, the brunette tossed the journal back onto the table beside her and rushed towards Lydia's room, bypassing Mr Martin and Melissa,
"Lydia!"

Rory pushed the bathroom door open expecting to see her best friend huddled in a corner or staring blankly at a wall but instead, she found an empty, still running, shower. A harsh cold breeze ruffled Rory's hair making her look up to see an open window.

Stiles rushed in after the brunette, his hand landing on her shoulder causing them to exchange a look.