Issue 29

"Excuse me, Miss Pantheon lady?"

I didn't respond or realize someone was talking to me until a young girl tugged on my arm. I turned quickly, bending so we were at eye-height. She was badly burned, bruised and had lost a pigtail and large chunk of hair- my heart immediately softened at being mistaken from a Pantheon member. The girl was clutching a big cloth bundle to her chest and she thrust it at me, "He asked me to bring him to you..."

"Who asked you, sweetie?"

"The pumpkin man," She pushed the bundle into my hands now and stepped back.

I looked down at the cloth bundle, it was heavy, the contents clearly mushed, but I didn't know what else to do; I opened it.

"D-io...."

"Bob?" Tears welled in my eyes, I almost dropped him in surprise.

It was just his face; just a chunk of his eye and mouth.... God; he was all ruined pulp behind there.

I caught his head before it fell away; staring down at him. It must have been residual energy animating him now; he'd had so much over the years, been such a stubborn bastard, it didn't surprise me that he wouldn't fade right away.

"Dio... I... I'm sorry... I didn't..." his voice faded slightly and for a moment I thought that was all that was left of him, then a few moments passed, "So dar..k... Dio... I didn't give him... didn't let him... I knew you would be sad... so I didn't explode... so much pain... please... hold me."

"Shh, Bob. Shh. It's okay; I'm here, you're safe now," I rocked him gently in my arms, "Don't talk, I can make you better. I promise, just conserve your--- Bob? Bob..."

I was holding mush, just mush.

The little girl put her hand on my shoulder lightly, crying heavily, "He crawled past my house; I.... will he be okay?"

I shook my head, not sure how to form the words. He hadn't exploded. There wouldn't have been anything left if he had; and Bob never lied. It was like losing my only true friend. To have crawled so far; only to die in my arms...

"You should go and talk to one of the paramedic's, honey," I wiped my tears away and smelled cooked vegetables.

God damnit. I felt sick to my stomach wobbling on the stupid heels.

She nodded and hurried off. I couldn't believe she'd taken the time to find me- such a small kindness- when she was injured like that; where were her parents?

I cried and held Bob's head to my chest; feeling not the least bit foolish. He might have been a giant talking pumpkin, but that didn't make his life any less valuable to me. Most of the pumpkins I animated were very droll without much personality; their whole meaning of existence was to serve me. Bob had been different; Bob had been my friend.

He'd counselled me when I was feeling down; watched television while I was at work; sometimes tried to cook for me when I was coming home late. He'd swallowed two young kids who'd tried to break into my house once, and scolded them for four hours before spitting them out and sending them screaming off home.

He'd been wise, grouchy and loving. And now he was gone.

"Come on, Dion, you have done as much as you can here. Let's get you out of here," A hand brushed across my shoulders, warm, large, comforting.

I looked up at Daystar, tears still trickling down my cheeks, "I know it's stupid; but I have to give him a proper..."

His gaze slid to Bob's slack features, the empty, carved holes and mushed vegetable smear spreading across my fingers. He said nothing for a moment and then nodded, "I know a garden you can bury him in."