Prologue

A dream haunted Cody-a better life. It was there in the shadows. Even though he couldn't see it, he could feel it, and there it lingered.

This hour, when the day had come to a close and the Oklahoma night with it's constant drowning of insects was alive, was one in which Cody's mind dreamt of change. He was a young man with a will, held back by circumstances.

This time was summer. And summer was never a time of opportunity for Cody. He was forced to stay at home with his parents. A couple whose dreams for their son were not the dreams he had.

A sound disturbed Cody's thoughts. He bent his head and listened-the wind whistling through the trees. It was late, and he was sitting against the brick wall of his Oklahoma home.

He heard yet another sound-the shuffling of shoes on concrete. This promoted Cody to melt into the shadows, but it was no use.

Figures darker than the gloom approached and took shape, and it turned out to be those of a man and a woman. The woman was squat with messy brown hair and a menacing scowl, while the man was tall with a regal stance and light complexion. There was not a person that could possibly believe them to be a couple, but fate sometimes causes strange things.