Chapter 15

Hannah was bleeding terribly. She lifted her head up off the steering wheel, which reopened the wound on her forehead causing fresh blood to run down into her eyes. She struggled to open the smashed door of her truck and she finally pushed against it hard enough to where it gave. Hannah tumbled out and onto the ground.

She couldn't think, and she didn't know what to do. She crawled several feet and eventually got to a standing position. She walked away from everything and into the unknown to end up like this, and she walked away again.

She didn't bother to find Juliane and Cody, maybe they would find her. Everyone would turn out okay.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

A couple hours later Cody rolled over. He felt worse than when he did when Hannah punched him in the face, another thing to just add to his list of injuries. He didn't know it but he felt the way Hannah did, that they had left all for nothing just to end up like this.

He did what his uncle taught him when he was young about what to do when you are in a new environment.

"What do you feel?" His uncle would say.

Cody felt his body, eyes still closed, to make sure he was okay. He was sore and had bruises all over, but it was a blessing that he broke no bones. He rubbed his hands across the ground, feeling decaying leaves across his palms and tickling his fingers.

"What do you smell?"

Cody took in the scent of his environment. It was the smell of a piney woodland, nothing new to Cody. He smelt something else as well, gasoline.

"What do you see?" Cody's uncle would say.

Cody opened his eyes ever so carefully. He looked around and saw Hannah's truck. He ran toward it but he stumbled and fell so he crawled as fast as he could until he got there. He picked himself up and went to the passenger side.

Blood. Blood on the steering wheel. Cody saw nothing else except a pile of disturbed leaves on the ground which meant Juliane, or Hannah most likely, had fallen out.

"Hannah!" He yelled desperately to know avail. Tears came down his face, making trails through the dust that covered his cheeks.

"Hannah..." He quietly whispered to himself as he fell on his knees.

In the silence Cody heard a noise, almost like whimpering. He got up and he followed it.

He saw a lump on the ground and he ran towards it, it was Juliane. Her arm was bent at an unnatural angle and she was crying in pain.

"Juliane it's me! It's me!" Cody said and he knelt down beside her. "I can't find Hannah and I don't know what to do."

"Just. Help. Me." She grunted in pain.

Cody was no expert with medicine so he didn't know what to do. He wandered around until he found a vine and two sticks. He came back to Juliane and grabbed her arm.

"OW FUCK!" She yelled out.

"Calm down you sack I'm just trying to do something with this thing!" He said frustratingly.

Cody's uncle was also a chiropractor so he could fix it to some relatively. On some days he went to his uncles work and saw what he did. He thought about arms.

Cody grabbed Juliane's arm in two places above and below the broken area and pushed them either way. She screamed so loud Cody wished he had four arms to use two to cover his ears. He bent her arm slightly and put the two sticks and wrapped the vine around it almost like a rope.

"Well I'm glad there's nobody other than us to see this cause it looks ratchet as hell," Juliane joked through the pain.

"I think you'll be just fine!" Cody said. "I have to admire my handiwork"

Cody extended a hand to Juliane and with her good arm he helped pull her up.

"So where's Hannah?" Juliane said.

"I'm not sure," Cody frowned. "I looked around."

"She's a sorry sack," Juliane said.

"Well maybe she landed far away and we need to look," Cody suggested.

They split apart and spent an hour searching for Hannah in the general area of the truck but came up unsuccessful.

"Let's go to the truck for a second,"

Cody said.

Juliane followed him and she watched as Cody handed her the bags out of back seat partition. She was surprised to see they were still in there.

"Hannah forgot hers," Cody said with worry in his voice. "She won't last long without any food or water."

He handed Juliane her bag and she put it on her back. This was more of an adventure than she had ever bargained for.