Chapter 11

"Wake up!" Juliane heard in the distance. It didn't register correctly so she lay still, not wanting to miss a wink of sleep.

"Wake up!" The voice repeated again. This time she was being shaken in an attempt to receive a response from her.

"What do you want?" She called out.

"I need you guys to wake up because we don't wanna lose our head start that I think we still have!" Juliane heard. It was Cody.

Juliane opened her eyes, squinting because they were taking some time to adjust to this cloudless day. They had all fallen asleep in the truck bed, watching the stars form constellations and dreaming of this new future.

Hannah was already in the drivers seat. After their bonding moment last night, she realized it didn't take words to know how they all felt. It was a special connection.

Juliane and Cody climbed into the truck, another day on the road. Hannah had saved as much money as she could so they were good to go without needing to buy anything for quite some time.

"Where do you wanna go?" Asked Hannah.

"Do what you did yesterday," Cody replied.

She pulled out into the highway, making sure there was no traffic.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

"Where's our daughter?" Questioned a man watching an early morning news program featuring three teens missing.

"I don't know but I'm just so worried," a woman replied. She looked at her husband, "It's all your fault and you make me sick!" She said as she slapped him.

The man got up and pressed the woman again the wall by her throat. "I don't know if you want to end up missing like her, but I wouldn't have such a smart mouth if I were you." Growled Juliane's father to her mother. He released his grip and she slid to the ground struggling to breath.

"Call her and if she doesn't answer track her down using her phone," Juliane's father said as he walked away, lighting a cigarette.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Juliane's phone was vibrating like crazy in her pocket.

"What is that noise?" Cody said suspiciously.

"It's just my phone, let me check it real quick," she said as she pulled it out of her pocket. A tear slid down her face, her mom was calling.

"I have to answ-" but she was cut short as she tried to answer the call. Cody

slapped the phone out of her hand.

"WHY DID YOU DO THAT?" She screamed as her and Cody battled for the still ringing cell phone.

He managed to grab it, holding it high in the air. All of this took place as Hannah watched on.

"I can't let you have this anymore, the police will track us with it, so I have a plan." Cody said.

There was a Ford Ranger in the lane next to them so Cody had Hannah roll down the window. Tossing the phone in the pickup bed of it, they sped off.

"What good does throwing my phone away do?" Juliane argued. Cody knew she was pissed and wouldn't forgive him, but at least the police would track that truck based on the phones location and not theirs.

"I'm just doing what's best," Cody said.