Chapter 3

The only person who liked to hug Hannah more than Cody was Juliane. She ran towards them and leaped, causing them all to tumble onto the ground in a heap.

They all lie still, listening to each other's breathing, a smile crossing their faces at the same time. They had each other when nobody else did, and that's all they really needed.

Morris was a blowoff. A student didn't have to do too much work and could always manage to get out of class to go to another destination. And the destination for Hannah, Juliane, and Cody was the band room.

"I'm so glad summer is over", Cody said at third hour, which for him was financial literacy, a class he didn't even bother to show up too.

Hannah and Juliane laughed at the same time. "I know! It's great to see you guys again," Hannah said through her small chuckles.

Everybody knew those three were just like family, and everyone called them it too. They were the "power trio" to all the other kids, who thought it was funny how they connected so perfectly.

Cody interrupted the laughing fit from Juliane and Hannah, opening up a more serious topic. "Remember when we were on the bus Juliane and I was asking if you ever get tired of it?"

"Well yeah..." She replied inquisitively.

"Don't you ever feel like things would be different if we were on our own?" Cody said without pausing to both of them, "Because we need each other believe it or not."

Hannah and Juliane both knew Cody was right, so they just looked at him and nodded sadly.

Hannah shifted her feet slightly and pulled a mint can out of her satchel. "Mints anyone?" She said, trying to lighten the mood.

Cody became angry. "It's time to stop fucking around," he said with fury, "I'm not gonna take being at home and suffering anymore and I don't see why you guys would either."

Everyone knew that Cody didn't have the best home life. He was scrawny, and malnourished from a lack of food. His brown hair was whipped and faded from spending too many days out in the wind, away from the awful indoors where the devils den lie.

It was silent for what seemed like years when Cody finally spoke up again as Juliane and Hannah looked on. "Look, I'm really sorry guys, but... I just don't wanna live a life of poverty anymore. If I don't have you guys... I don't have anyone."

Juliane knew how Cody felt. Nobody knew what her life was like at home because she kept it a secret. Cody wanted people to know he wished for a better life and that he would make it happen, but she wasn't like that. What happened at home to her was better left unsaid.

"Okay guys look," Hannah rattled, apparently formulating some sort of plan. "it's best we stay here for now. We have school to keep us together and they can't tear us apart."

"I guess if that's the best we have for now we take it," Juliane said. Everyone agreed.

That day in the office they made a pledge. A pledge that nothing would tear them apart.