Chapter 2

Saturday Afternoon

We trekked through the forest, holding our boards. After a 10 minute walk, I led Colton into another part of the forest. Where the trees began to thin and you could see sunlight.

When we emerged from the trees, I showed Colton the small cubby I had built a few months ago.

"This" I motioned to the cubby, "is my home away from home." The cubby was high. Tall enough for me to walk into without hitting my head on the roof. It was spacious too.

Colton had to duck through the doorway, because he was taller, but when he stepped inside no discomfort was visible.

"Wow Tess. This is amazing. You have books and everything."

There were several stacks of books against the walls. There was food and water, a lock on the door, curtained windows and even a small electric power pack. I had blankets and clothes here too. If mum and dad ever went out of town, I usually slept out here. It was safe and I liked it here.

"Thanks. Do you want some water? It's not cold, but its clean."

"Sure." I threw Colton a bottle of water and grabbed one for myself.

I had a small couch, and we both sat side by side. A breeze came through the open window and a grabbed a light blanket from the back of the bench. I draped it over the two of us.

"Do you come here alot?" Colton asked.

"Yeah. I usually come here after school and on weekends."

"Do mum and dad know about this place?"

"Nah. Please don't tell them either." I looked over at Colton and he was still in awe.

"Sure. I won't tell. On one condition."

"Okay. What is it?"

"Next time I come down, we're camping out here."

I laughed at his condition, but agreed.

"Do you want to watch a movie? I have a little portable movie player and some classics."

Colton turned to me, mouth dropped open and wide eyed.

"Of course I wanna watch a movie. Man sis, where do you get this money from?"

I laughed, got up from my seat, gathered the movie choices and hooked up the DVD player to the power pack.

"Okay. Breakfast at Tiffany's, Monster's Inc. , Alice in Wonderland or Edward Scissor hands?"

"Edward Scissor hands, you know how much I love Tim Burton."

I popped the DVD in and curled up under the blanket, on the floor in front of Colton.

The movie started playing and I looked out to window. It was a sunny day. The clouds were moving away and letting the light come through. I loved it here. The view was breathtaking.

My phone buzzed in my pocket and I took it out.

Mum

Where are you two?

I turned around to face my brother.

"Hey didn't you leave a note for mum?"

Colton looked down at me and blinked. After a few seconds confusion was replaced by realisation.

"Oh. I totally forgot. Hang on I'll call her."

"No. Don't worry she just texted me. I'll text her."

Plucking my phone from my lap I typed a quick response to my mum.

Sorry mum, Colton took me out to breakfast and we're having a bonding day. Do you need us? Did something happen? If no we'll see you before 8. If that's okay.