Chapter 1

Friday Night

"Tessa! Star Trek's on. Are you coming?"

"I'm coming. Hang on."

I pulled on my fuzzy socks, and rushed down to the living room, where my brother, Colton, was waiting for me with a big bowl of popcorn and a Star Trek DVD.

As I rushed to the couch and curled up under the big, brown blanket, I snatched the popcorn right out of Colton's hands, leaving an appalled expression on his face, and shoved a handful into my mouth.

Turning to Captain Kirk, I slid my glasses up the bridge of my nose and stared intently at the screen.

Within five minutes on the Enterprise, Colton slid over to my side of the couch and took back the bowl of popped corn.

Too intent on the movie, I barely minded him and continued watching. Although, of course, Colton being Colton, had to interrupt my special time with Spock.

"Did you see the dreamy guy that moved in across the street?" He teased, mimicking a typical teenage girl.

Not turning from the screen I replied, "No Colton, I didn't. I was up in my room all afternoon studying for my math test. Now please, I'm trying to watch Star Trek."

"Okay, but Swarmi Colton says, there is a boy in your future. One that is quite near to you. Geographically." Cracking a smile and letting out a little laugh, I smacked my brother in the arm and pointed at the TV screen.

"Okay, okay. Fine. Watch Spock. I'm going to go make a nutella sandwich. And YOU'RE not getting any." With a nasty laugh, he wandered out of the room and into the kitchen to make his precious sandwich.

☓☓☓

Saturday Morning

I woke up to the sound of an alarm ringing.

Buzz. Buzz. Buzz.

I rolled onto my side to find the source and of course, my brother was right in front of me, holding an alarm clock to my face.

"Colton. What do you want?" I asked groggily, and rolled onto my side, facing away from him. "It's 6:30 on a Saturday morning. Why are you even up this early?"

"Oh just wanted to spend the day with my awesome sister", even though I couldn't see his face, I could hear the smugness in his voice.

"Okay fine, what do you want to do?" I spoke into the pillow, making my voice come out muffled.

"Skate around? Get some burgers? What do you say?"

I thought about that for a minute. It had been a while since I spent some one-on-one time with my brother, and I was dying to get a burger, so why not?

"Okay, fine whatever Colton. Give me 5 minutes to get ready and get my board."

"Yes." I heard him cheer as I rolled off the couch and stumbled to the door.

"But I do have one condition" I called over my shoulder as I started moving thorugh the house.

"Whatever you want Tess."

"We're eating at Cosmo's"

☓☓☓

Once in the privacy of my room, I rushed to my closet and poulled out a pair of jeans, a Green Lantern shirt and a matching green flannel.

Throwing on my clothes and pulling on my Chuck Taylors, I looked around my room, trying to track my skateboard. Under my bed. Nope. Under my desk. Nope. By the door. Nope. By the window. Nope.