Chapter 8

I walked downstairs that night wrapping the night gown around me seeing grandma, with her glasses on looking really mad.

“Grandma”? she looked up taking her reading glasses off and said

“What are you still doing awake, it’s almost midnight”

“Sorry, I couldn’t sleep”

“What’s wrong darling”?

“Just a lot on my mind”

“Like what”?

“Lots of things, like I guess why my best friend in America isn’t answering my phone calls and thinking what the hell happened to me sometimes I just want to go back to my old self”

“I want to give you something you left behind before leaving to America, follow me” Grandma stood up and I followed her upstairs to the cupboard “Wait, there” I stood there and grandma soon pulled out my old guitar I haven’t seen that in ages

“Is that my guitar”? I asked

“Yes, it is”

“Oh my gosh, I can’t believe you still have it”

“Well I saved it because I knew how much it meant to you and told me to never throw it out” Grandma handed me the my guitar and she said

“This should help bring back that Australian girl”

“What if I don’t have any Australian in me anymore, grandma”?

“I know you still do” grandma gave me a kiss on the forehead and said “You might want to look in that cupboard there’s some old things you left behind, but I’m going to bed goodnight Ellie”

“Goodnight grandma” she walked off to bed and I put my guitar to the side and went through the closet pulling out a box going through all of these amazing things I left behind. I noticed an album filled with photos I put that to the side and I was going to have a look at it later. I kept going through all of my things until i noticed a little black book. I opened it up and I noticed it had all the songs I wrote when I was little and I smiled at all the songs I wrote.

The next morning I was sitting the barn yard with the chickens walking around or they were eating the seeds in the bucket, I was singing songs that I wrote when I was little and there was one that I wouldn’t sing and that was the first song I ever wrote with mum helping me. I told her once I learnt how to play that song she would sing, I would play because I was always afraid of singing in front of people. Back in L.A I forgot all about music and song writing.

“Still singing I see” I jumped hearing someone’s voice, I looked up seeing Ashton smiling at me

“Uh yeah I guess”

“I remember you with your little pink guitar”

“Do you now”? I said, getting up putting the guitar to the side

“Yeah, whenever it was open mic night you were the first person up on stage with that pink guitar”

“I can’t believe you remember so long ago”

“Well how can I forget we were best friends” It was comfortable silence and I smiled at him, I soon noticed grandma and she said

“Oh there you are Ashton”

“Hey Jane”

“Um Ben needs your help with the sheep’s and then can you try and fix the tractor if that’s not too much to ask”?

“No, no it’s fine Jane” Ashton turned around and said “I’ll see you around El, and I hope you’re still thinking about that horse ride”

“Still thinking” I said smiling, Ashton ran out of the barn and grandma turned around and started sniffing the air “Grandma, what are you doing”?

“You smell that”?

“What”?

“Smells like love, because love is in the air” I rolled my eyes and said

“You did not just steal a title of a song”

“Maybe, I did, maybe I didn’t”