Chapter 4

Aki enters the room, and heads towards the front of the class. As the class rep, it's one of the customary responsibilities that the class rep starts off the day by mentioning anything special about the day, or any significant changes in the schedule.

At five feet eight, Aki had a slim and rounded figure. Her eyes were deep blue, and although her face was cute, it gave off a senior vibe. Like that of a well-cultured lady. The waist-length deep black hair was neatly braided. She wore white stockings, and a pair of black Mary Janes with an impeccable polish. One could easily believe why she commanded attention wherever she went.

Kazuo suddenly remembered some parts of the gossip from earlier, when he was entering the class. Questions were flying around about who will confess to the most popular girl in the school. Will someone even do it? Will she even accept it? To some, it was more important than something of national significance. If he was honest with himself, he did feel his confidence shudder a bit then.

The class was now silent. Were they always this eager to listen to something in school, Kazuo wondered. Aki began her talk with a formal greeting and a welcoming smile. She acknowledged everyone's excitement given the occasion, and asked everyone to enjoy themselves to the fullest.

She closed by mentioning the only change in the class schedule for the day. The science classes will be replaced by history classes. The science teacher, Ms. Ruriko Okakura, was not feeling well today and called in sick. Like everyone else, Kazuo was looking intently at her. As she was ending her talk, her eyes met with his and they held there for an instant until he quickly looked away, flustered.

An encounter like that was enough to send his heartbeat faster, and turn his mind blank.

Aki made a formal ending, and moved towards her seat, her friends waiting in anticipation. There was so much they wanted to talk to her, ask her, and tease her about. Somehow she knew that it was all coming, so she reciprocated their excitement.

She always sat with her three closest friends, Fumiki Oushima, Rina Aibu, and Emi Fugunaga. They talked about their plans for the day, and Rina and Emi teased them about the possible confessions they might get today. Emi was the shortest of all four, wore round glasses, and always had her short hair tied into a tidy pony. She was also the most concerned and polite among them. No one doubted her dream of becoming a doctor, and her warm companionship was always welcome.

"Say, Aki, why have you been missing so many classes recently. Here, I kept a copy of the class notes for you," said Emi as she handed her a small white notebook with a pink bunny printed on it.

"Now that she mentions it, I noticed that you were missing the science classes a lot this week. Is everything alright?" asked Rina, a well known honors student who competed in her studies with Aki, whom she regarded smarter than herself.

"Yes, everything is fine. I'll manage my studies somehow. I was just putting in some more time in my solo performance. I want to do it well," said Aki.

The three knew that when she sang, it was a sight to behold. She could easily become a professional singer. Even all the instructors were unanimous on that. But to see her put so much effort into a single performance was rare. They had a pleasant doubt that perhaps someone special will be in the audience, though they didn't ask her that.

"You must be careful Aki! With a voice like yours and with this much effort, that song could probably pierce someone's heart. I am expecting a lot of sobbing faces by the time you'll be done," said Fumiki, teasing her a little as she broke into a laugh.

Even as Aki and her friends talked, she didn't seem to be enjoying it to the fullest like she always did. Why did it bother her so much - earlier when their eyes met. She clearly saw Kazuo pull his gaze away so abruptly. Was it a sign of unwelcome? She couldn't get that thought off of her mind.