Chapter 1 : It's a dog eat dog world.

Chapter I

The room is that of a girl who's in senior high school. Posters hang on the wall of the hottest fuckboys in Hollywood. The purple carpet is covered in a hurricane of clothes, and thirty pillows lay on the headboard of the king bed. In the air, a smokey haze and the strong scent of skunk.

And on the bed, a seventeen-year-old girl wearing Winnie the pooh bottoms and an overtly large drape tank top. Between her legs is a bong. Her red eyes stare across the room at the double wooden door. There is a lot of screaming coming from this door. As down the hall, past the three other bedrooms, in her father's office, her stepmother and father are having a screaming match.

Some things are getting tossed.

Her father's voice rises above all other sounds, echoing in the large estate.

Her stepmother screams.

Her father—

"YOU TAKE MY FUCKING THRONE. YOU STEAL MY FUCKING HEART, AND NOW YOU TURN AGAINST ME—

Colleen sets the bong down on the bedroom floor and stands.

"LISTEN TO ME LAURA. THIS ISN'T A GAME. THIS IS THE WORLD, MY WORLD. OUR WORLD. OUR CHILDRENS WORLD."

"I KNOW!"

"THEN USE YOUR HEAD—"

Colleen opens the door and steps into the hallway. A few doors down, Colleen's younger brother, Michael, is standing halfway out of his bedroom door. His one hand loosely grasping a freshly opened beer.

She smirks.

Son and daughter like father, no?

Colleen shuts the door behind her, and Michael turns to the sound of a closing door. To him, Colleen looks as if she just rolled out of bed.

"Hey sis," Michael whispers as he throws his hands behind his back. A futile attempt to hide the beer.

"Before we get into why we're both listening, give me the fucking beer. If dad knew you were drinking again, he'd have a fit."

Colleen, with an extended and open hand, approaches her brother.

"C'mon Coll, it's Friday night, and mom and dad are at it. I was already drinking before they started losing their shit."

Colleen heaves a sigh,

"Whatever then. Just close your fucking door and go back to doing whatever you were doing,"

"And what are you going to do?"

Colleen looks down the hall. At the base of the office door, a bright line of light. The door is open a crack.

Michael, with boggled eyes, back steps into his room.

"You know what? I don't even want to know. Goodnight Coll,"

Michael says, and as quick as he can, closes the door.

Colleen creeps down the hall, feeling a little jumpy—like walking on clouds. She feels like her senses are heightened. Each pulse and pound a little more buoyant. However, each movement feels translucent and smooth. She walks, dragging her free hand down the left side of the wall. Her eyes locked into the beam of light on the floor—

And then, gunfire.

Not one shot.

Not two.

Hundreds.

Her heart jumps. Her hands jump off the wall. She sprints as fast as she can towards the office door.

A thousand thoughts fill her mind.