Chapter 26 - Shoot first, Think later.

By the time John, Dan, and Colleen exit the Calla Casino doors, four police cruisers and a detective has arrived.

They storm the stairs leading into the Calla Casino, with the last one—an elderly officer wearing a bright blue and yellow FBI jacket standing at the door. He steps aside, and locks eyes with Colleen and her bodyguards.

"Don't burn the family down now,"

He whispers beneath his breath.

"Wha—" Daniel grabs Colleen by both shoulders and intercepts the conversation.

"Calm down. I'll explain what that was in the car."

All three descend the steps of the Calla Casino.

Dan and John escort Colleen down the busy streets, full of workers returning to and from their afternoon lunch. As they pass Colleen, she remarks them all staring at her—feeling as if everyone knows what just happened.

Even as they pass her, she imagines them looking up at the Casino, with the immediate thought: She did it. She's the one who called for them all to die.

Dan senses her distraught and swings an arm around her neck, pulling her closer.

"You did good, don't sweat, okay?"

She nods, staring ahead, trying to lower her heart rate as she descends her battle high—the numerous thoughts of what? Why? How was she capable of such cold murder?

But it was so much fun.

They turn a corner, Johns silver-white Porsche, all black tint windows, is waiting, idling.

Colleen reaches the door. Her left breast vibrates. She pulls out her phone.

"Hello?"

Daniel opens the door for her.

"What the hell do you think you're doing Lady!"

With her ear glued to her phone, she steps into the vehicle.

"Gramps? What are you saying?"

"I have a breaking news reel incoming on my channel right now Colleen. And I don't know what the fuck you think you're getting yourself into. . . but it needs to stop now."

Dan and John walk around to the other side. John jumps into the driver seat, and Daniel in the rear. Without talking, he draws a circle in the air to John, who nods. John pulls into the busy streets and takes a right, taking the tourist route along the island.

"If you think for one second I'm going to let the person who took everything that's important to me, get away, you're mistaken Gramps."

"Colleen. . ."

"What do you want?"

"It's very admirable of what you're trying to do. Don't get me wrong. But once you kill the man who killed your father, you can't go back. You won't be the same person, and you can't just go back to being the naïve young women you once were."

Colleen looks at Dan, covering the speaker and mouthing words like What do I do? And He wants me to knock it off.

Tell him you'll talk to him in person. Dan mouths back.

"Colleen? You there?"

Colleen nods profusely, lowers her hand from the speaker and returns to the phone conversation.

"Yeah, I'm here. Look Gramps. We're on our way back to the estate. Let's talk there. Okay? Bye."

"Coll—"