Chapter 4

"Are you sure about this, Miss?" Chloe whispered next to Charlene.

"There's no going back now." Charlene said, more to herself. She turned toward Chloe, "you should go now. I can go on my own from here."

"But Miss," Chloe uttered. Charlene could see she was on the verge of tears. Charlene hurried before Chloe started crying, "go to your granny like we talked about. Those jewelries should lasted you more than two months, until you found another employment. I'm sorry you have to be chased from London."

"Oh no, Miss. This is more than I could hope for. You even wrote me a recommended letter! But, are you sure you wanted to do this, Miss? We could still go back. The earl won't know about us yet."

They continued to stared at each other for a few moments. Chloe, finally realizing that there was nothing more she could do to convinced her lady, let a lone tear dropped. She threw her arms around Charlene and murmured, "I'll miss you, Miss."

"I'll miss you too, Chloe," Charlene whispered under her breath as she watched Chloe walked into the night. She would miss London. All its curves and edges, all the parties and gatherings. Although she loathed going to parties, Charlene enjoyed the time spent with her friends and acquaintances. She would miss her families, especially Lady Juliet. Her small half-sister that she came to adored. Charlene hoped that grandfather and her family could forgive her. If not now, then in the future. Although she wrote them each a letter, she hated herself for her cowardices of not being able to said goodbyes face to face. But she knew none would permit her to go if she told them.

Charlene gazed up at the enormous hotel. This was it! This would be the first step toward her mysterious future. Although uncertainties would surely confronted her, Charlene was filled with eagerness. Her fascination laid in the unknown, namely out of England's soils.   

----------------

"Wake up, it's time to go," Roarke nudged the small form of Charles. The lad arrived late last evening. They talked well into the night about his expectations of him.  Well, Roarke did most of the talking. Roarke was glad to find that he wasn't misguided in chosen Charles. He initially chose the boy because Charles reminded him somewhat of himself. Might be his eagerness to learn, his adaptiveness to changes, or his boldness to seized opportunities presented to him. Roarke admitted that Charles's sister also influenced his decision as well, however little that might be.

"Huh, where am I?" Charles sighed sleepily, almost femininely. He rubbed his eyes and, realizing where he was Roarke assumed, straightening. Charles cleared his throat before asking, "are we going now, Cap'?"

"That's what I said." Roarke grabbed his pack and headed out the door. He heard Charles scurried to catch up. 

Everything was ready. Everything was onboard the ship. There's nothing else for him here in England. He even took some time yesterday to informed the family's solicitor of his purposes. He wrote out a will handing everything over to George and his mother. Although they don't deserve even the tiniest compassion from him, they're still his family. The only family he knew. But no more. Today onward, Roarke would be a lone man. No family, no friends. The only thing he had was the Eagle, and all the men on board to command. He would let no one gets as close to hurt him ever again. He would trust no one. Roarke vowed.

-------------

Roarke stared into the water that was coming to life by the rising sun. He could no longer see England from this distant. Roarke's send Charles downstairs because the lad looked like he could used some more rest. The same could not be said about Roarke. He felt restless. He needed to be up here.

Although the December airs chilled him to his bones, Roarke lingered, deferred to go down to his cabin. He liked the cold air, especially out on the ocean. He no longer felt choked. He could breath easily now. He could lived by his own rules, commanded every men here without the restrictions of London's edicts. He pledged to treat every men on the Eagle with respects, doesn't matter what's the person's stations. Every men was created equal, with the same physique. Every works they put into the ship, Roarke would made sure they were paid justly. If they refused to do works, then they're not fit for the Eagle. It was as simple as that.