Chapter Twenty Four | The Final Step

-Chandler's P.O.V-

A month went by since Chester died. I spent most of the days lying in bed. Wondering why something like that happened. Questioning why it happened. He didn't deserve that. He never did any harm to anyone.

I quickly sat up from my bed as my phone rang. It was Sean.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hey Chandler. I called to tell you that Chester's mom's arranging the funeral."

"Shit! I forgot to tell her..."

"Mr. William's partner told her they both passed away in an accident..."

I hesitated for a second but then ended up asking what I wasn't even sure I wanted the answer to.

"What's... What's going to be inside the casket?"

"Some of Chester's items. You can bring something yourself if you'd like to put it in there."

"I don't know... I'm not even sure I'm coming..."

"It's not going to be anything big. Just his mom and a few close friends..."

 I sighed.

"Alright..."

"See you at three pm. I'll text you the place so you won't forget."

"Thank you. I'll see you then."

I hung up. I slowly got out of bed, grunting as I did so. I walked towards the bathroom without looking or thinking about anything in particular. I didn't want to start crying again.

I took a quicker shower and got dressed. After grabbing something to eat, I left the house and went for a walk to ease my mind before what was going to be one of the most sentimental moments of my life.

I walked for a few hours before realizing it was almost three o'clock. I walked towards the church and got there within a few minutes. Sean approached me as he saw me arrive.

 "Hey man, haven't seen you in a while... How you holding up?"

 "Meh."

 Sean hugged me. I hugged him back as tears started showing on my eyes.

 "I'm too scared to see his family." I said. "I'm sure they all blame me for what happened..."

 "Don't say that. You're hurting as much as they are. Maybe even more. They need your support as much as you need theirs. Go to them."

 "Okay..."

 I slowly walked towards Chester's mother. She started walking towards me as soon as she saw me. I didn't know what to expect so I was surprised when she wrapped her arms around me and cried on my shoulder. I was trying my best not to cry since I got there but in that moment tears started streaming out of my eyes. We held each other tight, both of us mourning the death of someone who meant the world to both of us.

 We separated as the funeral was about to start. I sat on a chair and spent the entire funeral with my mind somewhere else. A part of me still didn't want to believe that he was gone... But I had to let that part go...

 I spent the whole funeral sitting on a chair, looking downwards. I wasn't paying attention to anything that was going on. I waited for everyone to leave before I finally walked towards his grave. Sean was standing next to me.

 I crouched down next to the tombstone.

 "Aren't you gonna say anything?" Sean asked.

 "Me? Am I going to talk to a tombstone that has an empty coffin in it? What am I even gonna say?"