6: First Time for Everything

Blair's POV

  Elain's been going to school suspiciously early lately.

  "Bye mom," she said sweetly, kissing our mother on the forehead. "Bye dad." And she kissed him on the cheek and hurried out of the kitchen.

  Aaron looked at his watch and declared the time. "7:13," he said. "That's three minutes earlier than yesterday."

  "What's going on with that girl?" Dad said, sipping his coffee.

  "Jamie, you must know something," Mom turned to my older sister. Elain told her everything.

  Jamie was typing away on her black Macbook, trying to finish a History report. Her black oval reading glasses were sliding down the bridge of her nose as she looked back and forth between her textbook and her laptop. "Nope. She hasn't said anything to me."

  After that, I think mom and dad got more worried about Elain. But it was approaching 8:00 so we had to head out.

  If you asked me though, I had a theory. One that I'm surprised Jamie hasn't thought of.

  "It's a boy isn't it?" I asked her once our parents were out of earshot.

  "Yup," Jamie replied.

  I knew it.

  "Remember when she came home one day with a pink band-aid on her knee?" Jamie said.

  "Yeah?"

  "Well, it turns out she crashed into a rose bush and the helpful stranger came with a box of mediplasts and her lost bookmark," Jamie chuckled. "His name's James."

  "Oh my God, good for her," I said excitedly. Atleast someone was making cute friends.

  I felt sorry for myself for the first time in my life. Who would've thought that the most popular girl at Doncaster would become a friendless loser when she got to London? No. Nobody expected that. That was why I was pretending that my life was all fine and dandy to my friends back home. I never thought times like these would come.

  The month was coming to a close, and still, nobody has come over to talk to me. Damn, weren't they even the least bit interested?

  This year I've actually been going to school for school. Not for friends or cute boys. Just school. Nothing else is happening right now, so I might as well preoccupy myself with that.

  "Wait, I forgot something!" I suddenly remembered just as we reached the front door.

  My English homework was still lying on my study desk. I had forgotten to pick it up because I was in such a hurry a while ago. I didn't want to get left behind again and be stuck on the bus and have another awkward moment with...him.

  "I'll be right back."

  I ran across the foyer and up the stairs to my room. I opened the door and went to my desk, expecting my homework to still be there...but it wasn't.

  "Holy Crap, holy crap, holy crap!" I cussed for the first time in my life.

  Glancing at the clock, I saw that I had only 5 minutes to find my work. I leapt into action, dropping my bag on the floor so it won't weigh me down. I got down on all fours to search for it under the desk and under the bed. It wasn't there.

  I looked at the clock again. 3 minutes left. Next thing I knew I was throwing my pillows haphazardly off my bed and searching at the most unlikely places: the bathroom, the closet, out the windows, around my shelves. But it wasn't there!