8: The Campaign, Week 1

Jamie's POV

  Today, Mum insisted to take me to Danny's house for the campaign meeting we decided to have. I was walking down the foyer at the exact same time she was walking out of the dining area. She said she was heading to the market and I said, "Oh, I'm going to Danny's." So she said that she could drop me off. And even if I really wanted to take the Volkswagen, I said yes because nobody really says no to Mum.

  We talked about my decision to run during dinner last night. I didn't really need to break the news because Elain did it for me. Mum and Dad were so excited about it, and they gave me a few bills to use for the campaign. Then, behind mum's back, dad gave me a few more bills, which gives me a grand total of £1,000.

  My parents have always been very supportive.

  My little siblings are pretty excited for me too. The three of them did not like the idea of Stephanie running the school.

*Flashback to last night*

  "She seems like the type of girl that would ban fried foods from the cafeteria," Aaron said with a frown.

  "Having her as President would probably be like having Blair as President," Elain commented.

  "Shut up!" Blaire spat out.

  "Don't get your knickers in a twist, I'm just teasing," Elain spat right back. "Anyway, I really want you to win big sis because Kylie says that if she wins she would do something like take away the bike racks. You can't let that happen."

  I listed that down on my Macbook before going to bed last night. I labeled it: "Things I won't do when we win." I'll make sure to add more to that list soon.

  Using the map Danielle drew on the back of my notebook, I gave Mum the directions to their house. Soon enough, we got to a 5 storey town house five blocks from school.

  "Thanks for the ride, Mum," I said as I slipped out of the car.

  "No problem, love," Mum grinned. "Have a great day."

  "You too." I sent her an air kiss before closing the door and watching her speed off.

  Once Mum was gone, I turned to look at Danny's house. It was tall and black with a gold knocker on the front door. The windows were narrow and all closed with grey curtains. Danny didn't have a dad, so she lived here with her mum and their housekeeper.

  I stepped onto their front porch and was just about to ring the doorbell, when the door suddenly opened. On the other side was an older version of Danielle in a very stylish brown coat. I assumed she was Danny's mum.

  She automatically smiled when she saw me. "You must be Jamie."

  "Good morning, Mrs. Heron," I said shyly, extending my hand for a handshake. But instead, surprisingly, I got a hug. One that lasted approximately 3 seconds.

  "Danielle's in her game room on the third floor. Just follow the sound of rock music," Mrs. Heron gave out a short laugh as she came outside. "It was nice meeting you, dear." She patted my back before finally leaving.

  I cautiously stepped inside the house and looked around. The place looked bigger from the inside than it did from the outside.

  It was very minimalist. White with black and red accents.

  I closed the door gently before going up the stairs.

  There were a lot of black and white photos on the wall, and some were of Danny and her family. They had one big family picture, and I saw that most of them were women. Maybe that's where Danny got her feminist views.