Chapter 33

- it would be easier to survive 4 am with you.

The morning was wonderful. Sun came in through the window, bringing a highlight to Natasha's arms and back and making her hair appear a lighter color than it was. Her arm was draped across my chest, and one leg across my own. She was still sleeping, the sun reflecting on her face. My fingers mindleslly traced shapes on her back.

I checked the digital clock on the bedside table, and it's bright numbers read 10:05 am. This must be the longest Natasha had ever slept. Rightly so, knowing that we went to sleep at the ungodly hours of the morning.

Slipping out from underneath her arm and leg, I moved to my closet to pull on baggy pants and a random sweatshirt. I wanted to make Natasha breakfast as a surprise.

Going into the kitchen I pulled out eggs we bought yesterday and some Russian style bacon. Once I got it all on the stove, I pulled out the coffee maker and placed coffee grinds in it with a pot of water.

While all of that was starting to get made, I moved and opened the windows, letting the fresh air and cool breeze enter the room.

It was a relaxing morning. A Sunday morning. These always had a wonderful feel to them. No one was in a rush and no one was worried. All you did was relax during the day and it was fine by me. Sundays in Bosnia were wonderful and probably my favorite out of every place I lived in. I would go to the cafe and talk with the neighbors and whoever came. Then, after lunch, I'd get on a boat and fish for a while. Dinner depended on whether or not I caught something. If I did, I'd have fish. If I didn't, I'd have some sort of meat.

"Hi there," Natasha's voice made me flinch as I was carrying the wine glasses from last night to the sink. When I looked in her direction, my eyes widened. She was wearing a long sleeve shirt and short shorts. 

"Good morning, Tasha." I walked over to kiss her.

She smiled into the kiss, mumbling, "Good morning," On my lips.

"Did you sleep okay?" I wondered, placing the eggs on a large plate and bacon on a separate one.

"I slept wonderfully." She gave me a look and I bit my lip trying to hide the uncontrollable smile that it held. "How did you sleep?"

"Perfectly." I pulled her chair out for her and she sat down. I took the seat next to her, and we ate in silence, listening to the birds, and the city outside our window.

I cleared our plates and washed them quickly, putting them back where they should be. I retook the seat next to Natasha and gave her a smile.

"Last night," She began to trace designs on my forearm as she spoke. "Was amazing."

"It was perfect." My voice was still raspy from sleep as I watched Natasha trace figures onto my arm. Everything seemed so simple. So wonderful. I hoped that it would stay like this forever, just Natasha and I. When we are together, in my mind nothing else seems to matter.

-

Two weeks passed by quickly. Natasha and I had grown accustomed to this life. This life outside of the Tower. That was my goal, in the end. To make her accustomed to living with me, so when the time came she would have a hard time imagining life without me.

"We have a week and a half left together," Natasha mumbled against my neck one evening. The end credits to Wizard of Oz were rolling, and the wall clock showed 11:45 pm.

"It could always be more." I looked down at her in my arms. "We could always stay together."

"There's something I need to do, Katya. One last thing, and I feel it coming soon. There is something that needs to happen." She took my hand on her own, playing with it. "I don't know what it is. Not yet, but I feel it coming."

"Whatever it is, we will face it together," I promised her.

"But what about--"

"I'm not leaving yet," I interrupted her. But in my heart, I didn't know if I ever could leave without Natasha. "I also have some unfinished business to attend to."

I tried to convince myself that I didn't know what I was talking about. But in my heart, I knew exactly what I was thinking of. I wanted to marry her. But Natasha didn't mention my words or didn't think much of them.

"That's good to hear." She smiled happily. She was glad to keep me around for at least a little while.

I was silent for a little longer, thinking of the right words to say next. "Can you imagine us?" I asked quietly.

"What do you mean?" She pulled herself closer to me.

I restated my question. "Can you see a future for us?"

"Yes." She nodded, speaking softly. I let my hand go up and caress her face very lightly, causing her to lean into it to feel my hand.

"Tell me what you see," I mumbled, resting my head on hers and mumbling in her hair.

She thought for a moment. "I see us living someplace no one knows us. Maybe a child or two. We would live like this. No worries and all happiness. It would be wonderful. Maybe I could be something more than the assassin they made me."

"You already are." I kissed the top of her head, trying to assure her the best I could.

I was honest with my words. Of course she was more than the assassin they made her. But she didn't realize that yet, and it would take some time to convince her. It took centuries for my friends to convince me that I was worth saving. I wasn't going to give up on Natasha, not now, not ever. I'd spend the rest of her life making sure she knew that I meant every word I say to her and that everything is going to be okay. She will find peace, eventually.

"I wouldn't be too sure about that." She yawned, burying her face in my shirt and taking a deep breath of me.