august 15th

AUTHOR'S NOTE: TRIGGER WARNING!!!! this chapter contains really heavy stuff y'all, including mention of someone who attempted to kill their self,  attempted rape (NOT covered in detail at all), and the inner mindset of lexi essentially spiraling to think really sad and dark thoughts. if you feel you cannot handle these topics, i'd advise against reading this chapter. i promise nothing is too detailed, but just a fair warning.

IF I SAID THAT the thought of seeing Derrick again tonight wasn't making me at least a little bit giddy, I'd be lying.

This time is much more spontaneous than last night's excursion, as he only texted me fifteen minutes ago suggesting the idea. This time, he's taking me to a local fast food shack to get fries, which we are both craving, and then he wants to drive me to this old arcade located on a pier on the beach side of town. The whole thing sounds very fun and movie-worthy.

"So you're ditching me again to hang out with this guy," Jasper whines beside me. We're currently sprawled out on my bed, shoulders touching, just chatting about typical things like books and movies and my date last night.

"Sorry," I say. "Although in my defense, you were the one who pushed so hard to make this whole thing happen, so it's a little late to back out on me now."

He ruffles my hair like I'm a child. "You're right. I'm just happy to see you happy. I hope you guys have fun."

I smooth my hair out. "Thanks, J. Also, help me find something cute to wear that's presentable but doesn't look like I'm trying too hard. He said he'll be here in ten."

Jasper shoots me a look. "What does that even mean? Is this seriously what goes through girls' minds when they're getting ready for a date?"

My lips curve into a smile. "Don't ask me, I'm new at this."

I rummage through my closet, and my fingers land on a familiar faded yellow shirt that I wore at the beginning of the month, reflecting back on when Jasper acknowledged it to be one of his favorite shirts that I wear. Back then, we had a whole month ahead of us to spend together. Now, we're left with only half of that time, hourglass wasting away. I let go of the shirt and keep rifling, not wanting to share a piece of Jasper with Derrick.

"How does this look?" I query, pulling out a red tank top and matching it with a white pair of chino shorts. "Is this cute-but-casual?"

He narrows his eyes at the clothing articles in my hands and shrugs. "I guess? What if you paired it with a necklace or something to make it a little dressier?"

I stare at him incredulously.

"What?" he asks, sounding defensive.

"Who are you to have any input on fashion besides a half-hearted 'that looks nice'? What's happened to you?"

He shrugs. "Normally I don't. I just really want this to work out for you. You deserve some fun in your life."

My heart swells. "You're a sweet friend, Jasper. Now turn around so I can change."

"Bossy," he retorts, doing exactly as told, anyway. While I slip on my outfit, he hugs one of my pillows to his chest. "Do you really think you might like Derrick?" he asks the wall.

I freeze for a contemplative moment before yanking my shorts up. "I dunno, J," I reply. "I just met him."

"Yeah, but that doesn't mean much," he counters. "It only took me two dates to believe I was head over heels in love with Avery."

"Yeah, and three weeks of heartache to get over her," I blurt before I can stop myself. "Sorry. I don't know why I said that. You can turn around now."