Promises

I knew I couldn’t kill her.

That was it. Time to play my trump card.

Time to lure her with her attraction for me.

I reached out, caressing her face gently. The same desire flooded every nerve of my body.

She gasped.

“Killing you…” I whispered, aware of the cold edge in my voice, “Well it’s not that simple. There’s a third option. I could awaken you.”

She froze.

I froze too. There was love, fear and anticipation. My mind was a mix of emotions all at a time, threatening to smother me.

“NO!!!”

The terror in her eyes shattered my heart again. What a ruthless creature I had turned to? But I played on.

“You don’t know what it’s like. It’s amazing. Transcendent,” I tried to convince her, “All your senses are alive; the world is more alive…”

“Yeah, but you are dead,” she cut me off.

Here was something.

“Am I?”

On an impulse I caught her hand, it was warm and soft.

I remembered the gentle touches of those hands when we were alone in the cabin. We could be forever like that. No duties, no worries, guided by our instincts and desires.

I placed her hand on my chest.
Her eyes widened as she felt my heartbeat.

“My heart beats,” I whispered, moving closer, “I’m breathing.”

“Yeah but,” she countered, “It’s not really being alive. It’s…its dark magic reanimating you. It’s an illusion of life.”

All bookish knowledge, damn those books! The writers should be awakened to know how it truly feels.

“It’s better than life,” I cupped her face in my hands, I could hear her heart racing.

She was anticipating my next move.

“It’s like being God, Rose. Strength. Speed. Able to perceive the world in ways you can never imagine. And….” I looked into her yes, “Immortality. We could be together forever.”

I could see the confusion play in her eyes. I knew that confusion, between right and wrong, life and death.

“No…” her voice was barely a whisper.

I stroked her cheeks again, like the petals of a rose, soft and endearing. I wasn’t sure how long I could control myself.

“We can’t be…” she tried to assert herself.

“We could,” I trailed my fingers down the sides of her chin and rested them on the carotid artery.

I could feel the pulsations of warm blood on my skin.

All the love was gone in a while as a different kind of desire set in. I longed for her blood. I longed to drink from her.

What was I thinking? I mentally kicked myself.

Ignoring the bloodlust raging in me, I assured, “I could do it quickly. There’d be no pain. It’d be done before you even knew it.”

True. The Strigoi bite with its powerful endorphins would numb the pain of death as it had done for me.

She eyes dilated. I knew, the promise of eternity with me was too much for her.

I could see her relenting. I could see her expression softening. I was winning. Finally we could be together.

The blood in her veins raced again. She shivered a little.

It was then I heard a click and got the smell even before the door opened.

Nathan and Inna.

I swore under my breath and shoved away Rose behind me, protecting her with my body. Nathan could not be trusted.

A/N Sorry for the delay. I updated now and promise to update soon. Hope you all like it and are still with me. Love you all.