syntax_error

A week has passed and after being postponed too many times, our movie night was going to happen. I finally got to meet Darlene and well Elliot too? I met him a couple more times on the subway and at the bar but we didn't really talk. Angela told me about his social anxiety and from that moment I never tried to push him into useless conversations. I took my bag and closed the door behind me. I knocked on Elliot's door a few times before being greeted by that beautiful pair of eyes he has. I smiled before even saying anything.

What the fuck is wrong with me?

"Hi, umh.. you're ready to go? I thought of telling you so we would go together.." I said while scratching the back of my neck.

"uh, yeah sure, let me just get my phone."

And after that, we were walking outside the building, an awkward silence between us. I didn't know if saying anything would make the situation worse. Hell, I didn't even know if he was still walking beside me or not. I decided to speak up anyway:

"So.. Elliot, you know what movie Angela has chosen? I bet it's one of those cheesy movies" I said sighing in disapproval.

Smiling at my disgusted facial expressions, he replied:

"Yeah, I bet it's one of those movies with those shitty happy endings. How do people like them?"

"I know right! It's so unrealistic, I really don't get why they still make movies like that."

We hopped on the train, this time full of people. We sat dangerously close to each other and I could feel how uncomfortable he was. I felt his leg jumping up and down as I opened my phone to call Angela.

"Angela! Elliot and I are on the subway, we're almost there, wait for us"

"You and Elliot? Why are you two together? Is there something I'm missing?" I almost could feel her smirk through the damn phone.

"oh my god, shut up," I said before hanging up.

We walked silently side by side to Angela's apartment, which was really nice and I was actually jealous, but it's not like I could afford it, at least not now. Me and Elliot entered the elevator and that's when my hand brushed against his. He immediately pulled away from me, making things even more awkward. I knocked on the door, waiting for Angela to open the door. Instead, another girl opened the door, she had long brown hair and a pair of heart-shaped sunglasses that kept the hair away from her face.

"what are you staring at?" She said with a blank face.

She probably saw my shocked face because soon after that she started laughing.

"I'm just kidding honey, I'm Darlene, Elliot's sister," she said hugging me.

"I'm Jennifer, Angela's friend. Nice to meet you Darlene" I replied smiling.

I went straight to the living room, jumping on the sofa and scaring Angela, who was trying to put new batteries in the remote.

"What the hell Jennifer! What is wrong with you"

I started laughing as I saw her struggling to change the batteries. A bit after we were all sitting on the sofa with the popcorns, with me between Angela and Darlene, while Elliot was in the corner, alone, staring blankly at the tv. As soon as the movie started I knew what it was: The notebook. Sounds of disapproval came out of me and Elliot at the same time. I looked at him and laughed, earning a small giggle from him.

"What?! The notebook is a really good film okay?" Angela stated while eating some popcorns.

"it's so boring ughhh," I said, letting my head fall on the headset.

"Shh, it's about to start"

The movie went on with me focusing on my popcorn and always feeling someone staring at me. That's when I turned around only to see that Elliot was the one staring at me, I smiled when I saw how fast he looked away. He was so cute. I got up and sat next to him. He looked surprised, especially by the fact that I sat so close to him.

"This movie is so boringgg, you like it?" I asked him in a sarcastic tone.

"Yeah, I fucking love it" he said, bringing his hands to his heart, soon looking down as if he has done something wrong.

"I want to do something else, let's go out for a walk?"
The hell? I've never been this confident in my life.
He looked a bit unsure but he eventually nodded and got up, following me to the door.

"where are you guys going?" Angela asked after pausing the movie

"we're just going out for a walk, nothing more"

She nodded and as we leaving the house I heard Darlene saying "Just a walk, sure honey", making me roll my eyes.

As we walked, I started talking to him about how crazy my life has been lately, and how, for now, I loved this city. He opened up a bit, telling me about his computer engineering degree and his job at AllSafe, nothing about his personal life.

"Hey Elliot, do you have a girlfriend?"

"No." he looked on the ground as we walked

"Oh okay, just wondering."

"follow me," he said looking at me

We walked for a while when we reached something that looked like an amusement park.

"this is coney island, I often come here, it's relaxing. Especially at night when there is almost no one." He almost whispered, smiling.

We sat on the backrest of a bench, looking at the landscape in front us.

"This is so beautiful" I looked at him.

What is happening to me and why do I feel like I need to hug him?

He might have noticed my staring since he cleared his throat and shifted his position. But no, I didn't care in all honesty so I started staring at him again. This time he tilted his head, his eyes meeting mine. At this exact moment, I felt something. I don't know exactly what but something. I saw him looking at lips and it was a matter of seconds before he quickly crashed his lips onto mine. Shocked, I pulled away, opening my eyes to see Elliot's face.

"I-I'm sorry.. fuck, I don't what has gotten into me-" he stood up and started walking away.

"Elliot! Wait!" he didn't stop so I ran a bit and pulled him by his arm. The moment I touched him, he stopped, his eyes full of regret. I stood on my toes, kissing him again. It was passionate. I pulled away, biting my lip.

"I pulled away because I didn't expect you to do that, that's all." He nodded, looking at me softly.

"let's go home" I took his hand but soon let go of it, because of how shy he was.

I texted Angela, telling her that we were going home, not replying to the copious amount of messages she sent me. A silence surrounded us as we walked back home, but it was not awkward, not at all. As we got to our front door I saw how unsure he was on what to do. So I approached him, kissing him on the cheek and leaving him petrified.

"Goodnight Elliot," I said before entering my room.