Chapter 9

But Darcy did not successfully hold the castle.

Two days after word came from Pontefract of Darcy's fears, came further news that the old Baron had surrendered to the leader of the rebels.

"His name is Robert Aske. A lawyer from a distinguished Yorkshire family," Sir Richard Rich explained to an increasingly infuriated Henry who sat on his dais in his Privy Chamber, fuming with every new word.

"It seems this Aske is a charismatic orator. His support is widespread in Yorkshire," Norfolk explained to the select few of the King's Council who had gathered to hear the latest news from the North. "He has openly declared that he places the blame for the suppression of the religious houses not upon his Majesty's will, as he believes him to be a decent and well-meaning king. He has laid the blame for it all on 'evil' advisors." His eyes twinkled with an unmistakable flash of malice. "In particular my Lord Cromwell and lists upon other new demands that he be removed from any high offices of state and replaced by councillors of noble birth."

"In other words, him," Anne thought to herself with disdain from her place at the Kings side. Norfolk was as greedy for power as Cromwell. He had enjoyed prominence in her rise, though he had not reaped as gloriously from the Kings generosity as her brother and father had. A serious revolt in the north would greatly undermine Cromwell position. Especially since Cromwell had repeatedly assured the King that the people were glad he had put an end to the corruption and decadence of their priests and church officials. If Henry repudiated him as he had once forsaken Cardinal Wolsey, Norfolk could oust Cromwell without a second thought.

It should have pleased her. The thought of her uncle as the most powerful man on the King's council, but despite their kinship, Norfolk hated her and Henrys reforms. He was a papist to his core. He would undo everything that Cromwell had done and encourage Henry to return to the obedience of Rome, who would, in turn, insist Henry cast her and their children aside and replace her.
Perhaps Norfolk would even throw one his own daughters at the King or any of the pretty little Howard girls at his disposal. A Queen he could control, a Queen he could try to rule through.
A choice was before her. Loyalty to her Howard kin would almost certainly jeopardize everything she had achieved. Or support Cromwell despite their crossed purposes and protect him from the machinations of her uncle and trust that he, in turn, would protect her Queenship. She knew the only answer lay with Cromwell.

"I have never known a princes' counsellors and prelates should be appointed by ignorant common people," Anne cut in. "How dare these traitors presume to interfere in affairs of state. Are they so sinful that they presume themselves to be more suitable to the role of sovereign than the one rightfully appointed by God?"

"There is more." Only now did a touch of embarrassment hint on Norfolk's face. "Forgive me Your Majesty, but the rebels know they are in an advantageous position in terms of men and resources and are now presuming on that confidence to demand new concessions from Your Majesty."

"What concessions?" The King grumbled from beneath a furred brow.

"That Your Majesty agrees to the reinstatement of the Lady Mary in the line of succession."

It took every ounce of Anne's self-control to stop herself from bellowing "never" at the top of her lungs. Mary's reinstatement in the line of succession was her most fierce dread. Once Henry was dead, only Annes two children stood between a restored Mary and the crown, and there would be plenty who would be only too happy to do Mary the favour of removing the Boleyn heirs to the throne by foul and murderous means. 

"The Lady Mary is a named bastard!" Anne argued through gritted teeth. "She has no right to the throne."

"By the ruling of Archbishop Cranmer, madam. Not the Pope. Aske has as good as declared the people of the North disapprove of his appointment and consider his judgements unlawful."

"The people are not required to approve of the Kings decisions uncle, merely to abide by the laws of the land," Anne insisted haughtily.

"Such a concession would, I believe, be to Your Majesty's advantage," Norfolk continued turning back to the King, ignoring his niece. "They do not ask for the Lady Mary to be declared legitimate. Only that she be included in the line of Succession and as Her Majesty has so astutely pointed out, she is named illegitimate and so could only be named after the legitimate heirs of Your Majesty by Queen Anne."

"Such a declaration would certainly go far in settling disquiet in the North, Your Majesty. And since Prince Henry and Princess Elizabeth supersede the Lady Mary in the line of succession, there would be little, if no chance of her inheriting." Suffolk agreed.

"Your Majesty, you cannot agree to these demands." She insisted, turning her head to her husband who was biting the side of his index finger. His golden head bowed in deep thought. She placed her hand upon his. "Henry,"

"Out. All of you out," he roared suddenly, throwing his arms towards the doors. Slamming the doors shut himself.

"Have you forgotten yourself, madam?" He demanded turning on her. A fat finger pointing directly at her. "You do not issue orders to me."

"If I could order Your Majesty, I would have ordered you to strike down these rebels when they first dared to rise against your authority," She argued, rising from her velvet chair on the dais.

"They outnumbered us..."

"And now they outnumber us in far greater numbers." She did not care that she had cut him off mid-argument. As long as she had breath in her body, Mary Tudor would never be included in the line of succession.
The moment she was named as an heir to the King, the papists would see to it that that Anne and her children met a grizzly fate. Mary's restitution would bring about her own downfall. Of that, Anne was certain.