August 1537

The reaction to Mary's marriage from the court had been lukewarm at best, and from the discreet looks several of her ladies were directing towards Anne, they held her alone responsible for it.
Gertrude Courtenay, The Marchioness of Exeter had even excused herself from her duties at court and returned to her London home on the pretext of illness. Not that Anne was bereft at the loss of the Marchioness' services, since she knew that Gertrude, a devoted friend of Katharine's, loathed her for choosing her to be Princess Elizabeth's godmother. Forcing the long-time crony of her rival to take part in the public spectacle celebrating her daughter's birth required the Marchioness to provide Elizabeth with an expensive present.
It had been a petty victory, but one she had enjoyed immensely. Of course, Lady Exeter had not been accorded such an honour at Prince Henry's christening. That had been a role for the Boleyn's and the Howards alone to enjoy.
Anne caught the gaze of Lady Barrington, George's former sister-in-law, staring at her from across the room. Her bold gaze infuriated Anne who locked her into a brief mutual stare before the lady's manners got the better of her and she excused herself from the room.
Now that Jane Parker was dead, there was no need to retain the services of her family, Anne thought. Privately, she doubted the sincerity of the Parkers' conversion to the reformed faith and the Boleyn cause since they had shown little enthusiasm for the justice meted out to the rebels of the northern rebellion. It would not be a stretch to believe that they did not fully support her as Queen.

"Her Grace, the Dowager Duchess of Richmond and Somerset, Your Majesty," her usher announced, drawing murmurs of gossip from the Queen's attendants at the return of Anne's young cousin.
The Duchess, Mary Howard had been one of the youngest and most popular of her attendants. Anne had always been fond of her cousin, especially since she had wholeheartedly embraced the reformed faith and had gone against her mother, the Duchess of Norfolk's wishes in supporting Anne rather than Katharine in the Kings Great Matter.
Anne had repaid her cousins' loyalty by securing the King's bastard son Henry Fitzroy as her husband. It had been a happy marriage by all accounts, until the young Dukes' death.
She had not seen her cousin since Mary had become a widow and so was surprised that Mary would travel all the way to Richmond from Baynard's Castle.

She was still the same striking beauty she had been in her youth. She was taller now and more filled out. But she carried herself with an elegance that came with high rank.
Against the expensive black mourning clothes she wore, her pale beauty looked deliciously dramatic, and Anne had to admit her cousin had never looked better.

"Welcome cousin. I am glad to see you." The warm tone of Anne's greeting was sincere. She had always held a soft spot for the Duke of Norfolk's eldest daughter. She was the only Howard Anne had time for. Mary had always been a sweet child. intelligent, sensible, and most importantly, showed true enthusiasm for the new faith. "Your letter sounded most urgent."

"It is Your Majesty, most urgent. I have come to plead for Your Majesty's help."

"My help?"

'Yes, madam. Since my husband's death, I have struggled to survive on dwindling money. His Majesty was kind enough to provide me with a small allowance for the first year, but he has refused me the dower lands that would allow me to support myself and my husbands' estates. I have asked my father for help, but he has refused me and told me that I must look for a new marriage."

"I don't understand. How is it that you are still dependent upon your father? Your husband was one of the wealthiest peers in England. Endowed with many patronages."

"Indeed, Your Majesty. The King was very generous to him."

"Then how do you find yourself in such a situation?"

"The Duke's patronages were only for his lifetime. When he died, his money reverted to the crown."

"And your dower lands? What of them? Surely they can provide you with an income."

"His Majesty has refused me my dower lands."

At this Anne was surprised. For all his faults and discourteousness towards her, Henry had always been generous to the other women in his life. She found it hard to believe the widow of his precious son would be denied anything. "For what reason?"

"He said that our marriage was not a true marriage, and so I am not a true widow."

"Am I to understand that you and the duke, did not..."

Her cousin had the modesty to blush at such an intimate question and lowered her head. "We did not, Your Majesty. she confirmed.

"But you were married for three years. How is that?"

"The King forbade it," She said simply.

"I see," Anne murmured half to herself. Then, she hit upon an idea. Rising from her chair of estate she extended her arm to Mary. "Come, cousin. Walk with me. I am sorry to hear of your plight and I would like to help. However, I fear that my influence with the King may not be as strong as it once was."

She could feel the disappointment lag in her cousin's entwined arm.

"I am sorry," Mary said softly. Her disappointment was evident in her voice.

"I suspect the King has a woman, some whore he keeps in secret," she confided. "Before my last confinement, I discovered that he had been dallying with Jane Seymour. You remember that plain little pale face thing? Most irritatingly stupid. Well, anyways I found her in his lap. The King swears they went no further but I am certain things went beyond that whilst I was confined.

"You do not think that Jane Seymour might be his woman?"

"I am certain that she is not. I dismissed her. I do not doubt that at this very moment, the little slut is cooling her heels in Wiltshire. I suspect this is why the king is being more discreet. Which is what makes me think it is a woman from my service."

Drawing her cousin into an alcove, Anne lowered her voice. "I believe we can help each other, Mary. I will reappoint you to my household as one of my ladies and will show you considerable favour. I will also support you against your father's marriage plans for you."

Filled with gratitude, Mary grabbed her cousin's heavily ringed hand and kissed it. "Oh, thank you."

"In return, you will use the influence my favour will bring you to discover which of my ladies is whoreing to the King and report back to me. Once she is identified and dismissed, I will be able to win back my influence with the King and I will persuade him to return your dower lands to you. You will be free of your dependence upon your father for good and remain as Dowager Duchess of Richmond for as long as you wish."

"Oh Anne, thank you. Thank you so much."

"I take it you agree?"

"I do."

A smile of satisfaction came to Anne's thin face, and she offered her thanks to God for sending Mary to her. She knew she had the loyalty of her cousin and could trust in her implicitly. Except for Margaret Lee and her mother, she had precious few in her inner circle who could wholly trust.

Anne summoned her whole retinue to witness Mary's swearing-in the following week.
She provided her cousin with six new sets of expensive, French-cut gowns and matching hoods in mourning black, seeded with pearls and gold and silver thread, financed from her own purse.
Mary looked effortlessly beautiful in her new finery as she took her oath of service.
"I promise and swear to be just and thrifty in my conduct and service to Her Majesty Queen Anne, whilst at all times presenting a godly spectacle to others, so help me God." She vowed, placing her hand upon the Tyndale bible that Anne openly kept on display in her rooms.

Holding out her hands, Anne drew her close and kissed Mary's cheek. "I am so glad to have you back at court, cousin," she said with a smile. "You have been much missed."

"I am so glad to be back, Your Majesty. I cannot thank you enough for your kindness to me."

"It seems I am not the only one pleased to see you back," she remarked, amused at the predictability of her ladies, who had quickly gathered round to befriend Mary having witnessed the Queen's generosity and warm welcome.
She stepped back, allowing Mary to receive their attention as they plied her with compliments and invitations.
"If only all my problems were so easily managed," she thought wryly.